Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays

Post a reply

Write your message and submit
Tip: To insert a drawing, type the Drawing ID between the [drawing]123[/drawing] tag.
The drawing ID is the number at the end of your drawing URL.
E.g. ratemydrawings.com/drawings/cartoons/123.html
:) :| :( :D :o ;) :/ :P :lol: :mad: :rolleyes: :cool:

By posting you agree to our Behavior Policy.
Options

< Back to previous page

Topic review (newest first)

hikari15
25 Jul, 2013 9:12 pm

Haha I'm guilty of many things as well =u='' When I try to write comics I find myself with weak (not physically, personality) characters. I always try to write shounen, but I'm really not good at it and always come to the conclusion of "I wouldn't even read this" But I'm really hard on myself.

I think a major problem for me is that I am bad at establishing genre's, and my stories come to a terrible mixture of shoujo and shounen. It's good that you have a lot planned out.

Also with the romance thing, I am totally cool with romance in manga, I just don't like when it's forced and unnatural. Or When they start off hating each other and two chapters later they're, I dunno, getting married or something. If it's a slow progression, it's fine but I hate it when all the feelings jump out at you within the first few pages/chapters.

"There's no direct romance in it at all (at least in the first installment, there may be some subtle romance later on...we'll see)" This sounds wonderful. But don't try too hard either way, write whatever you feel is natural.

I really look forward to reading you story, best off luck!

Thanks for the encouragement! smile I also enjoyed reading what you had to say on everything else!

I agree with you on the "forced romance". The relationships that are given room to grow are the ones that last. What I also find disappointing is when the authors builds up to something in a relationship, but never really see it to fruition.

CreamyLamb
23 Jul, 2013 7:33 pm

hikari15 wrote:

CreamyLamb wrote:

Haha sorry there's a lot, I'm kinda embarrassed now. I am actually not this picky with my stories, but these are things that get on my nerves. Even if some of these things are used, they can easily be counter balanced with good qualities as well.^^ but I saw this and let it all out. Haha sorry, but tell me when you right it, I'm sure you'll do great. I'd like to read it, good luck!

edit: And comedy mixed with seriousness, like in Pandora hearts Oz can be light hearted and make me laugh, but then it gets serious and dramatic as well, which is probably the most important thing. Also don't be afraid to make it emotional or sad at points, that's always good too.

This is all excellent! I would have quoted all of your post, but there was a lot. I give you 101/10 for your great answer! And a waffle: #. Take two, in fact: # #. But seriously, thank you for ranting. Don't be embarrassed, this was great.

   I agree with you on especially on the annoying protagonist and clique girl point. I don't mind feminine girls, but their all so gentle, and the author never builds on their fatal flaws. Even when they do, it's something like "No! I can't stand thinking about how I lost my little sibling/parents/boy friend to that fire! I'm now going to buckle over in tears at the horrific memory of it! But later on in the story, I will discover they didn't die in vain, and I will try my best to live up to their...their...greatness?" (Sorry...I kind of lost what to say at the end of my monologue...). However, I must confess, I am guilty of writing those characters. I'll try to focus on rounding them out and showing that they are 1) human therefor imperfect, and 2) useful, but still human and therefor imperfect. They can be mean, that's okay. We all have bad days (I'm not saying it's okay to be mean kids, don't take this out of context).

   I must confess, I like romance. One story I'm working on focuses primarily on the relationship of two couples. However, I know romance isn't the main focus of the story, and so it would be weird if it was all fluff, and 2) They are still children, so it's more of a strong friendship/sweet on each other sort of thing (the reader may freely go on to assume they marry later on, even if that is unrealistic to how how real life works. The story takes place in outer space for freaking sake! Who cares about realistic!) I do build on romance in my stories, but I build a lot (maybe even more) on family relationships, whether it be rain or shine in them (generally shine, if it is rain, I make it work out to shine later). I write from my heart for those relationships. Friends will grow apart, but family will always stay in your heart. That can be a negative thing. I never said that all families are perfect, but they will never leave you (at least not the memory of them).

   I agree with pretty much everything you said, my friend.

    I also love Pandora Hearts! However, I stopped reading it because it simply got to dark for me. =/ I might pick it up again at some point, just to see how it ended, but for now, it's not for me. Though it's a great story, I'm disappointed with how macob it became.

    I will SO tell you when I finish my manga (if I remember to! I'll try to make myself a note!) I'm actually aiming to enter the Shonen Jump manga competition. smile Hopefully I finish in time and they vote my work into the second round. The manga I was working on at the time I made this post is not the one I'm entering, however. I would like to win, but I would simply be happy knowing that Viz Media liked my work enough to vote it into the second round. smile The manga I'm entering is a collaboration between me and Kitty_girl14. There's no direct romance in it at all (at least in the first installment, there may be some subtle romance later on...we'll see).

Haha I'm guilty of many things as well =u='' When I try to write comics I find myself with weak (not physically, personality) characters. I always try to write shounen, but I'm really not good at it and always come to the conclusion of "I wouldn't even read this" But I'm really hard on myself.

I think a major problem for me is that I am bad at establishing genre's, and my stories come to a terrible mixture of shoujo and shounen. It's good that you have a lot planned out.

Also with the romance thing, I am totally cool with romance in manga, I just don't like when it's forced and unnatural. Or When they start off hating each other and two chapters later they're, I dunno, getting married or something. If it's a slow progression, it's fine but I hate it when all the feelings jump out at you within the first few pages/chapters.

"There's no direct romance in it at all (at least in the first installment, there may be some subtle romance later on...we'll see)" This sounds wonderful. But don't try too hard either way, write whatever you feel is natural.

I really look forward to reading you story, best off luck!

hikari15
07 Jul, 2013 11:09 pm

CreamyLamb wrote:

Haha sorry there's a lot, I'm kinda embarrassed now. I am actually not this picky with my stories, but these are things that get on my nerves. Even if some of these things are used, they can easily be counter balanced with good qualities as well.^^ but I saw this and let it all out. Haha sorry, but tell me when you right it, I'm sure you'll do great. I'd like to read it, good luck!

edit: And comedy mixed with seriousness, like in Pandora hearts Oz can be light hearted and make me laugh, but then it gets serious and dramatic as well, which is probably the most important thing. Also don't be afraid to make it emotional or sad at points, that's always good too.

This is all excellent! I would have quoted all of your post, but there was a lot. I give you 101/10 for your great answer! And a waffle: #. Take two, in fact: # #. But seriously, thank you for ranting. Don't be embarrassed, this was great.

   I agree with you on especially on the annoying protagonist and clique girl point. I don't mind feminine girls, but their all so gentle, and the author never builds on their fatal flaws. Even when they do, it's something like "No! I can't stand thinking about how I lost my little sibling/parents/boy friend to that fire! I'm now going to buckle over in tears at the horrific memory of it! But later on in the story, I will discover they didn't die in vain, and I will try my best to live up to their...their...greatness?" (Sorry...I kind of lost what to say at the end of my monologue...). However, I must confess, I am guilty of writing those characters. I'll try to focus on rounding them out and showing that they are 1) human therefor imperfect, and 2) useful, but still human and therefor imperfect. They can be mean, that's okay. We all have bad days (I'm not saying it's okay to be mean kids, don't take this out of context).

   I must confess, I like romance. One story I'm working on focuses primarily on the relationship of two couples. However, I know romance isn't the main focus of the story, and so it would be weird if it was all fluff, and 2) They are still children, so it's more of a strong friendship/sweet on each other sort of thing (the reader may freely go on to assume they marry later on, even if that is unrealistic to how how real life works. The story takes place in outer space for freaking sake! Who cares about realistic!) I do build on romance in my stories, but I build a lot (maybe even more) on family relationships, whether it be rain or shine in them (generally shine, if it is rain, I make it work out to shine later). I write from my heart for those relationships. Friends will grow apart, but family will always stay in your heart. That can be a negative thing. I never said that all families are perfect, but they will never leave you (at least not the memory of them).

   I agree with pretty much everything you said, my friend.

    I also love Pandora Hearts! However, I stopped reading it because it simply got to dark for me. =/ I might pick it up again at some point, just to see how it ended, but for now, it's not for me. Though it's a great story, I'm disappointed with how macob it became.

    I will SO tell you when I finish my manga (if I remember to! I'll try to make myself a note!) I'm actually aiming to enter the Shonen Jump manga competition. =) Hopefully I finish in time and they vote my work into the second round. The manga I was working on at the time I made this post is not the one I'm entering, however. I would like to win, but I would simply be happy knowing that Viz Media liked my work enough to vote it into the second round. =) The manga I'm entering is a collaboration between me and Kitty_girl14. There's no direct romance in it at all (at least in the first installment, there may be some subtle romance later on...we'll see).

CreamyLamb
06 Jul, 2013 1:13 am

Well something that irritates me is when a love story/ love is pushed so freaking hard. Like, no matter what, there MUST be love. No. This is why I personally like shounen better, but i see it there a lot too.

Sometimes I just want to read the story. A little romance is okay, sometimes, if it fits. But I mean like the love is non stop and even as they are fighting and loving at the same time and... just no.

I personally like Pandora Hearts. I believe even though they hint that Alice loves Oz (without her knowing what it means) and that Sharon loves break, and even that Ada dates Vincent, its not excessive at all. Now, I haven't finished it, so I don't know if it adds, but a small parts that are spaced out so it doesn't overwhelm you. Each character has a goal, that doesn't involve love, and they stick to it. I dislike stories where everyone's goal is love, and that's what they fight for, that's what they talk about, and they don't stop.

It bothers me more when it's supposed to be shounen. It's a little understandable with shoujo, but calling it "shounen" after all that.

Also what Red said about how girls can do nothing. It  annoys me if it's too much either way. I either see that girls can't do anything and always need help, or if they an do EVERYTHING and beat everyone up and are invincible and no one can touch them.

Other than that I like it when characters have personalities and emotion. Sometimes there is "annoying protagonist personality" where they have one emotion and its confidence. And then there's "girl personality" which I can't really describe except as clique  "girl".

Like in Pandora Hearts, Oz is indeed confident and upbeat, but he uses other emotions and expressions such as surprise, anger, ect. And then Gilbert mostly acts tough, but he is also weak and many things in between.

On the other hand, some people have all emotion and no personality. Like events sway every action completely, and never base their actions they take on their personality.

Haha sorry there's a lot, I'm kinda embarrassed now. I am actually not this picky with my stories, but these are things that get on my nerves. Even if some of these things are used, they can easily be counter balanced with good qualities as well.^^ but I saw this and let it all out. Haha sorry, but tell me when you right it, I'm sure you'll do great. I'd like to read it, good luck!

edit: And comedy mixed with seriousness, like in Pandora hearts Oz can be light hearted and make me laugh, but then it gets serious and dramatic as well, which is probably the most important thing. Also don't be afraid to make it emotional or sad at points, that's always good too.

hikari15
05 Jul, 2013 8:37 pm

Ah, yes, I think authors should focus on telling good stories instead of solely on lining their pockets...Though they do need to be payed as well. =/

Artist-KGH
30 Jun, 2013 8:30 pm

I guess what I mean is there are a lot of very similar stories about kids battling each other with merchandise. And for a lot of them more work goes into selling that merchandise than writing a decent story.

hikari15
30 Jun, 2013 3:48 am

bump

hikari15
28 Jun, 2013 6:03 am

Artist-KGH wrote:

hikari15 wrote:

Artist-KGH wrote:

One Piece.

...

That's about it.

I've heard of it, but never read it. What exactly makes you like it? =/

I like the mix of comedy, drama, and action. I like how far ahead Eiichiro Oda can write. I like the bizarre things Eiichiro Oda can make one emotional about. I like the variation in age, race, species, ability, attitude, and intent of the characters. I like that it isn't about merchandise like balls, spinning tops, cards, etc..

Gotcha. Thanks, that helps! So when you say "merchandise", you're referring to manga that have themes based off of these items? Kids battling against each other with their x item (x being  balls, spinning tops, cards, etc..) If that's the case, you wouldn't like mine...I love that stereo type. That is, as long as it isn't too childish. However, my manga does deal with some pretty deep problems in life as well (broken relationships and restoration are key themes for example). I guarantee that there will be comedy, drama, and action in mine though. If done correctly, it can be a winning combo!

   Thank you again for being so detailed in your answer. It is exactly the sort of answer I want out of people on this forum. smile

Artist-KGH
24 Jun, 2013 1:52 pm

hikari15 wrote:

Artist-KGH wrote:

One Piece.

...

That's about it.

I've heard of it, but never read it. What exactly makes you like it? =/

I like the mix of comedy, drama, and action. I like how far ahead Eiichiro Oda can write. I like the bizarre things Eiichiro Oda can make one emotional about. I like the variation in age, race, species, ability, attitude, and intent of the characters. I like that it isn't about merchandise like balls, spinning tops, cards, etc..

hikari15
24 Jun, 2013 3:58 am

Artist-KGH wrote:

One Piece.

...

That's about it.

I've heard of it, but never read it. What exactly makes you like it? =/

Artist-KGH
22 Jun, 2013 9:54 am

One Piece.

...

That's about it.

hikari15
22 Jun, 2013 4:10 am

Thank you for everyone's posts! I think it's funny Kitty_girl14 went and posted as well, seeing as we are currently working on a manga together. wink I can take a little bit of shoujo, but yeah, the boy-girl stuff can be a little...much. Romance is not all there is to life. How about saving the world? That's what I like about shounen! Let's put something really big at stake and then watch the heroes try with all their might to save it (with of course the bad guys gaining some ground before they're defeated...it's a let down otherwise)!

Jyuliey
20 Jun, 2013 4:44 pm

I agree with the above post. I rarely read that much shounen or shoujo, but I would much prefer shounen over shoujo mangas, because to me personally, shoujo's storyline is a bit cliche somehow and ugh the heroine in there is soo...predictable?  But in Shounen, I just like the thrils given off, with the twist and turn plots, like the manga that Eatbbycks said. But than again..I aslo like some shoujo manga hmm .

kitty_girl14
20 Jun, 2013 4:06 pm

I like shounen mainly for the story. There are relatable emotions and interesting characters in shounen. While I do like some shoujo, most of it is boyfriend-girlfriend drama, which I don't really buy in to hmm I can take some of that, but I am not a fan when that makes up the whole story plot.
Also, along with interesting characters, I like good character designs smile

red*rogue
17 Jun, 2013 1:26 am

I don't know exactly what I like about it.

I can, however, tell you some of things I dislike. Perhaps things for you to avoid?

When friendships are being tested in an overused way:
"Snap out of it! We're best friends, don't you remember?" the protagonist with a crazy hair-do yelled at his best friend, who was nothing but a marionette under the evil spell of the antagonist.
"B-best friends?" his best friend repeated,almost snapping out of it, if only the antagonist didn't tighten his hold on him.

And with friendship and lots of crying the best friend is freed from the evil spell.

When girls can't do anything
"I'll protect you!" she said as she jumped in front of the old man, holding out a knife in the hopes it would fend off the enemy that was rushing towards her. The enemy didn't even bother using his weapon, he sneezed her straight through a tree.
And the male hero needs like an hour of extreme battling before he gets slightly exhausted and hurt.

I just watched a battle in Get Backers.
Between a guy and a girl.
Guess what!?
SHE NEEDED TO BE SAVED!

Board footer

167 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.