Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 02 Aug, 2009 11:56 pm

New Feature: Collections

I'm really excited about our latest new feature....

COLLECTIONS http://www.ratemydrawings.com/collections/

Collections are groups of drawings placed under a theme or topic. Any member can create a collections of drawings for everyone to browse. One way to think of Collections is that they are similar to a playlist of songs on your media player - only instead of songs, they are drawings.

The best way to understand Collections is with examples:
To kick things off I have created a collection called "RMD past competition winners". This collection includes all drawings that have won official RMD competitions in the past. There are some drawings that were winners that the winners have deleted the drawing, but most of the past winners are there.

Other examples of how you can use collections:
- Create a collection of drawings of YOUR favorite drawings of all time
- Create a collection under a topic you are passionate about like "Ocean drawings" or "Sunset drawings" or "Disney characters".
- If you have created a series of drawings that are part of a story like a manga series, create a collection so people can read your manga story one drawing at a time.
- Create a collection of your favorite unnoticed drawings

There are so many possibilities with collections, but what is so great about this feature is that it's a new way to browse drawings on RMD, which means there are more ways for non-top drawings to get exposure. In a way it allows drawings that are not in the "top drawings" pages to still get noticed.

Some really cool features of collections
- Once you have created a collection, simply click the "Add to Collection" link under any drawing to add it to your collection.
- The Collection Browser: is a way of displaying a collection on drawing pages. It places the collection at the top of the drawings so you can easily browse each drawing one at a time.
- Make sure you vote for your favorite collections. On the collection page is a button for you to say "I LIKE THIS COLLECTION". This drives which collections appear on the "Top Collections" page, so be sure to vote for collections that you like.

I am so excited to see what collections you can all come up with. I really think this feature is going to bring a new dimension to RateMyDrawings allowing more great drawings to get exposure. What is so great is that it's driven by all you members and it will make it so much easier to find and expose all the amazing drawings we have on our community.

As you may have noticed, this feature is currently in BETA, while we continue to test this feature and make sure it is running smoothly, efficiently and easy for everyone to use.

Happy Collecting!!!

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

#2 06 Aug, 2009 3:28 am

Re: New Feature: Collections

UPDATE:
As suggested in the forums, we have added the ability to add a short description to collections so the person creating the collection can let viewers know a little more about the collection.

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

#3 10 Aug, 2009 9:50 am

Re: New Feature: Collections

UPDATE:
A few more tweaks to collections...
- "My Collections" now live in a tab in your profile page - so you can view your collections from your homepage, but also you can view collections from any member from their profile page.
- The Recent and Top Collections pages now have a preview bubble - a little tooltip that when you mouse over a thumbnail, you can see a quick preview of the first 6 drawings in that collection.

Board footer

143 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

Copyright Mixart New Media LLC.
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide