Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 02 Jun, 2012 7:45 pm

Tips for depth and shading

Do you have any tips or advice for getting depth into your drawings? Making them look less 2D because I have done one or two drawings lately that I really like but they still have no shading or depth to them and when I try they turn out awful D:

Please help, thanks! Wolfclaw~

#2 02 Jun, 2012 8:04 pm

Re: Tips for depth and shading

The way I learned is to find tutorials online or go to your library and check out books there. Also, if you hover over community on RMD and go to tutorials, they have some good ones there. The tutorials under the portrait, and general drawing categories have the best tutorials for shading.

Last edited by art_attack (02 Jun, 2012 8:12 pm)

VIVA IL PAPA FRANCIS!!! :-)

Proud member of the Squirtle Squad. We're watching you,

#3 02 Jun, 2012 8:40 pm

For shading, you want lots and lots of colors. Use the color-picker less, and make a new color more.

For depth, remember that colors fade a bit the further they are.

Please do come back.
And play, someday.

#4 02 Jun, 2012 9:57 pm

Shape can often be seen by putting shadow and highlight on it.

When it comes shading faces, I'd just look at myself in the mirror with some bright light on and just see how the shadows appear on my face. I try to mimic my own shadows into the characters.

Slowly, you get to see where the shadows go.
I can't really explain on how you know where shadows should go.
It's all in my head and I can't put it in words OTL.
But I hope my example helped you a bit further.

-sigh-
ggwp

Deutschland über alles ;D

#5 31 May, 2014 4:12 am

If you want to learn more about shading have a look at JerrysArtarama.com they have amazing tutorials for the beginners on their website. For you here is the direct link of the tutorial http://www.jerrysartarama.com/art-lesso … ading.html

#6 13 Jul, 2014 10:35 pm

Find a light source for your artwork. Like, if a character you're drawing is outside, sitting on a bench. You could have the sun in many different directions, you could have the sun coming from they're left, so the shadows would be on the right. And vice versa. If the sun was in front of him, hopefully he has sunglasses for one, cause it hurts. Two, there would be smaller shadows under hair parts etc, and maybe on the crook of their nose.

Things you could do to make it easier finding shadows is drawing the sun in the area you want like this:
http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2014/194/6/6/shadowhelp_by_cas_tan-d7qjfpj.png

Also, sometimes light can show off as different colours. So if a lightbulb is blue and is shining down on someone's face, there will blue on his face. Some artists use darker purples or blues while shading ( after using closer colours to the skin tone ) to make it pop more.
Anyways, hope I helped <3

No doubt, endings are hard. But then again, nothing ever really ends, does it?

Board footer

195 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.