Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 02 Dec, 2012 1:21 am

Adding movement to a drawing?

One of my biggest all time problems with drawing is lack of movement. Everyone and anything I draw usually looks stiff. Right now I am drawing a mermaid, and I got her to flow pretty nicely (mostly because of her flowing hair and tail.) But I drew a dolphin and it looks like someone placed a toy there. I do admit I used a partial ref pic for the dolphin, and my drawings do look mostly stiff when I use a ref for the pose, etc. But do you have any tips on how to add movement? Reference pictures are helping me to get anatomy down, but is there anyway to get rid of the stiffness in the process?

smile

VIVA IL PAPA FRANCIS!!! :-)

Proud member of the Squirtle Squad. We're watching you,

#2 02 Dec, 2012 1:39 am

Re: Adding movement to a drawing?

Well, I always had the problem of characters looking stiff.
I still do. The best way I found to get rid of it is:
Don't think too much.

Sometimes I don't sketch and draw the entire drawing depending only on my...instincts? Also, don't be shy for trying out poses. For example: poses a character can take in a battle. Or when falling. Or when climbing. From all kinds of perspectives.

I always get the feeling I get more and more flexible in character poses, the more I draw those kind of poses.

Also, just look at yourself in the mirror.
And then picture the mirror as a gigantic canvas and trace the lines of your body in your mind.

I do that sometimes. ("So I draw the hand in front of the ... and then the arm like this...The leg like that...")

hmm, hope my tips help x)

#3 02 Dec, 2012 2:04 am

here, this is what I've been trying to explain, only this person does it way more detailed:

http://fc03.deviantart.net/fs70/i/2010/033/0/5/ways_to_see_by_mrDExArts.jpg

read his description too:
http://browse.deviantart.com/?qh=&s … s#/d2ivjo2

#4 02 Dec, 2012 3:38 am

^ and try adding blur to the parts of body that move occasionally

HEYEAYEAYEYA

#5 02 Dec, 2012 5:40 am

if it was manga add lines and draw it form a certain angle to make it look like its about to come forward and for the dolphin focus on the water and the bubbles and make sure that the dolphins pose matches the bubbles and the water current(or watever u call it) i wish i made sense...ummm basically try to focus on the movement of the water and the flow...(i still didn't make sense...if someone understood this can they translate in a better way?)

I think I'm hungry...*rawr* oh and I'm holding a comp.~ http://www.ratemydrawings.com/community … p?id=25991 hope a lot of people joins! big_smile

#6 05 Dec, 2012 6:13 am

@Red Rogue! I know exactly what you're saying!
I don't draw perspective and bodies very often because I'm extremely afraid of it! xD I always think 'its tooo hard', so I end up doing something else instead, :S
I guess the main thing is that I need to study body and perspective more instead of chickening out. Thanks for the advice guys! smile

VIVA IL PAPA FRANCIS!!! :-)

Proud member of the Squirtle Squad. We're watching you,

#7 05 Dec, 2012 12:20 pm

Ur welcome~ and if ur afraid draw alone~ it'll give u more time and safe bubble thingy~ wen u get better draw it in front of people XD i wish u best!!!

I think I'm hungry...*rawr* oh and I'm holding a comp.~ http://www.ratemydrawings.com/community … p?id=25991 hope a lot of people joins! big_smile

Board footer

169 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.