Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 24 Nov, 2013 2:13 pm

RMD is different~

old users, what changes do you like or dislike on ratemydrawings? a lot has changed since I was last on. what do you think would make the site better? is it me or has the site died down a LOT in the past year or two ):

#2 24 Nov, 2013 3:10 pm

Re: RMD is different~

I would like a size bigger canvas to make a better drawing the rest is fine

#3 24 Nov, 2013 3:57 pm

bigger canvas but with higher resolution.

Cheee~eeZe

#4 25 Nov, 2013 6:38 pm

I just miss my old friends. D:

"I am me, nobody else." - Roxas, Kingdom Hearts 358/2 Days

#5 25 Nov, 2013 7:59 pm

I've been pretty active on this site since I first joined, a little over three years ago. I can't complain much--what I love about RMD hasn't changed. That I can use the awesome tools to draw what I wish and that people can comment and talk openly/rate (or now it is like) my drawings to give me feedback.

I didn't like the "like" system at first but I'm used to it now, and it really is the same as it was before since most people just rated 5 hearts and moved on, afraid of seeming rude or hateful if they rated less.

There aren't as many active people but those who have stuck around are still fantastic contributors to the community and all of them are really nice/friendly.

In my opinion, I like how RMD isn't over-bustling with lots of people; sure though, it wouldn't hurt to have more active members. I just personally like the small community of friendly people who love to draw and talk to each other. That's all you really need to run a fantastic website (in my opinion again); dedicated artists and people willing to work with one another openly and not afraid to talk or be friends.

"You have heart."

#6 25 Nov, 2013 8:07 pm

For changes there are lots of things I can think of that I would like to be able to have here.

Just a few I've thought of/agree with that other members have suggested:

1.Customization canvas size.

2.Being able to scale or rotate something once you've drawn it on the canvas.

3.Being able to change the colour/saturation/contrast of a drawing like in a regular art program.

4. (as for site management) New users with under 5 drawings should be unable to make a new forum in the "request a drawings" forum, since we have a lot of people coming in and asking for a free drawing when it's against the rules and they never stay once they get what they wanted.

Also new members with under 5 drawings shouldn't be able to post under other request drawings forums because they could go on people's "taking requests" forum and ask for a free drawing there.

There's not much else I'd change though, I think RMD is pretty awesome as is.

"You have heart."

#7 26 Nov, 2013 1:01 am

FudgeMuffic summed everything up pretty nicely there!! I totally agree with her. The elements of RMD that I fell in love with still exist. The site is the best drawing site out there, period. I just wish there were slightly more active members. I remember when goldy was here that was like the prime time for RMD. There were so many people and so many drawings and the forums were like chatter boxes. That was a lot of fun and all, but I think sometimes the excess amount of drawings made certain drawings go by without even seeing them, making it hard to get noticed. It reminded me a little of Deviantart where you have to get lucky to get noticed or just post at the right times.

I miss the rating system over the like system though. There should have been a tool that if you rated a 5 or below (out of the 10) that you had to leave a comment saying why you did not like the drawing, or what could be improved upon. Always trying to beat my old rates was a fun challenge and it made me grow as an artist.

But yes I do love RMD and it's community, I just wish that there was a little bit more of activity on it (now that I have returned from my hibernation lol) I left for a while because it die a little. But I miss this place too much and can't stay away forever.

I really think for RMD to improve the site would be to implement (possibly) another rating system where rating does occur instead of liking. I also would love to see a more detailed drawing tool, if possible. I like to re-size things sometimes or play with the hues.

But really the only thing I would change is to get more people on here, but alas that isn't really a thing you can fix with some coding sad I just hope it picks up steam again to gain a few more people to make it a more lively place!

Last edited by musicgurl09090 (26 Nov, 2013 1:02 am)

Yesterday's time is gone forever, and will never come back. One cannot buy, rent or hire more time. There is no substitute for time. Yet most people take for granted this unique, irreplaceable and necessary resource.

#8 26 Nov, 2013 1:47 am

I dont even bother anymore

#9 26 Nov, 2013 5:45 am

if this site is different from other places here the drawings is valued and appreciated more than other sites so I stayed here!the system could change to make a difference and improve 1-10 hearts

#10 26 Nov, 2013 7:07 pm

I remember how much different RMD was when I joined: One canvas size, different site layout, no CanvasDraw, the Feedback feature, and of course, different users and some other things.

I was never happy or unhappy about the "Like" feature. I used to say "5/5" or something like that at the end of some comments but now I don't say anything like that because "Like" doesn't seem right to me...but this way I don't have to worry about a problem with ratings I had in the past.

The only thing I can think of that I don't like is the stretch-to-fit feature. It's good for very large drawings, but it bothers me when almost every smaller drawing I look at starts at "stretch-to-fit" because they have lower quality that way. I think that there should be some way to keep drawings at either "Actual size" or "Stretch-to-fit".

Sonic is my favorite character now. smile

#11 26 Nov, 2013 7:37 pm

I was one of the few who rated a drawing for what it's worth.
Now the rating system is downgraded to something very simplistic.

I haven't changed my mind in the past 3 months.
This rating system is unfitting for an artsite.
It's also unnecessary because I barely heard a complaint about the last rating system.

The last rating system had the 5/5's and all the other ratings 95% of the community completely missed. Everything for everybody. But for some stupid reason, it had to change.

This stupid rating system is a stupid joke and I don't want to be part of it.

Also, lots of cool artists left this place.

There was a decline in ratings (idk how it is now, I haven't drawn/rated/commented since this like system) so even though I tried my best, it felt as if nobody really saw my work. So I felt less like drawing.

Last edited by red*rogue (26 Nov, 2013 7:37 pm)

#12 26 Nov, 2013 9:26 pm

I have only been on here for about a year but i find it perfect, there is just the right number of people to make it a cozy community of great people and some great artists.
I was on Sketchstar until it closed and there were too many members, my drawings would get 1500 views in a week and it would take too long to view everybody's drawings, the new rating system is better because i would have felt insulted if somebody gave me 2/5 or 3/5.

Sketchstar had some great features where you could draw something then save it as an object and use it in more than one drawing and you could select something you have drawn and manipulate it ie; stretch, turn upside-down, adjust size etc.
I think Mick should have more competitions!!
ps, there are some very pretty girls posting reply's to this topic so i am just going to spoil it with my ugly mug shot! lol

Ow! i got my head stuck in the cupboard!

#13 26 Nov, 2013 9:57 pm

Lavenderdoodle wrote:

I dont even bother anymore

I miss you though, you were one of my favorites..

#14 26 Nov, 2013 9:59 pm

Rebcutie wrote:

I just miss my old friends. D:

same!!!

#15 26 Nov, 2013 10:01 pm

changingfavorite wrote:

I remember how much different RMD was when I joined: One canvas size, different site layout, no CanvasDraw, the Feedback feature, and of course, different users and some other things.

I was never happy or unhappy about the "Like" feature. I used to say "5/5" or something like that at the end of some comments but now I don't say anything like that because "Like" doesn't seem right to me...but this way I don't have to worry about a problem with ratings I had in the past.

The only thing I can think of that I don't like is the stretch-to-fit feature. It's good for very large drawings, but it bothers me when almost every smaller drawing I look at starts at "stretch-to-fit" because they have lower quality that way. I think that there should be some way to keep drawings at either "Actual size" or "Stretch-to-fit".

same for me, I joined like three years ago and it was a lot different. I don't not like the new rating thing but im just saying that rate my drawings was exactly that. not like my drawings. but yeah I think it should show actual size as default and then you can click stretch to fit if you want.

#16 26 Nov, 2013 10:13 pm

red*rogue wrote:

I was one of the few who rated a drawing for what it's worth.
Now the rating system is downgraded to something very simplistic.

I haven't changed my mind in the past 3 months.
This rating system is unfitting for an artsite.
It's also unnecessary because I barely heard a complaint about the last rating system.

The last rating system had the 5/5's and all the other ratings 95% of the community completely missed. Everything for everybody. But for some stupid reason, it had to change.

This stupid rating system is a stupid joke and I don't want to be part of it.

Also, lots of cool artists left this place.

There was a decline in ratings (idk how it is now, I haven't drawn/rated/commented since this like system) so even though I tried my best, it felt as if nobody really saw my work. So I felt less like drawing.

ur right a lot of cool artists left ): I saw your work. +1 page ratings, and I agree with the rating system thing

#17 26 Nov, 2013 10:54 pm

omg... Emmy OTL
You're so sweeeeet ;u;
You rated and commented like 15 things XD

#18 27 Nov, 2013 12:47 am

Personally I just miss all my old friends that used to come on here. Most of the people I used to even talk to in the comments section are gone now.

I miss how there was a lot more active people in drawchat. Like maybe 4 people per room. Now its like 6 people in one room T_T So lonely.. it's a ghost town in there.

I'm not really motivated to draw on here as much as I was when I first joined about 3-4 years ago. I don't like the new rating system, it makes no sense to me. I would also like if there were higher graphics and better pen tools. For Java/Chibi Paint I mean. I don't care for the canvas thing.. whatever it's called.

Also there's barely any competitions to do ):

I don't know, it's just dead on here now. I'm not excited about this website anymore.

#19 27 Nov, 2013 2:48 am

im not really an old user but i do think its funny how rmd is using likes instead of rates now. the main pro for me about the like system is no hate rating but the con is..

well a like isnt as satisfying as a rate n is too mainstream for me. i wonder if they will change it..
also i dont like less people n comps(i dont mean user comps)

as well as i dislike the spam which there is less of now n ppl always coming here just for draws.
there should be changes for that so ppl who dont draw at least a certain # of acceptable draws shouldnt ask for any.

also more ppl would b nice. seems like its the same ppl participating n rating/commenting most of the time. but i do luv the tight knit community here n the tools. sadly it does seem like it is dying down since last yr..

:3

#20 27 Nov, 2013 8:32 am

I miss when Mick was more active, but hey I still have hope. I know he's a pretty smart guy and am sure he has some stuff in the works. I do know, that over the years the site has had fluctuations and as long as people all keep drawing and participating, then participation will pick up again.

I think he should start a Holidays drawing competition again so we all have an excuse to draw and celebrate this fun time of the year. Oh yeah, do that Mick, that's awesome sauce!

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

Board footer

166 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.