Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 30 Jun, 2014 10:28 pm

What can we do to liven the site up like it used to be?

This isn't a suggestion more than it is a discussion on what we could do to attract more people to the site and keep it active. I know a lot of people are pretty busy with their personal lives, I've had my fair share of that with university work. But the times I do return here, the atmosphere of the site seems to be a lot less lively than it used to be.

About a year ago, a site I used to draw on, before I came to RMD, got shut down due to decreasing number of active members. It was called doodlebug, and it was a small community of people who used a tool similar to the flash tool, to create black & white drawings. I don't really want to see the same thing happen to RMD.

One of the main aspects about what keeps RMD alive, to me, is Drawchat, because it helps us connect to one another and keeps the community together; it's a place where we can talk to other artists whose interests are similar to our own, and make new friends. I've made a forum topic on Drawchat before, which includes improvements that could be made to it and so on, however the topic was moved to the moderator forum for further review.

If there's any features, improvements or changes you want to see on RMD that would help it become a more lively atmosphere again, please share them below. I know mick is a busy guy and he has a family, but I'm sure if we all chip in as a community, we can sort something out! smile

#2 01 Jul, 2014 2:44 am

Re: What can we do to liven the site up like it used to be?

I hear most folks say that they don't come as often because the people they used to hang with on here don't come on as often also. Does that means if all your friends came that you would all come too? What does it take to invite everyone to come back and draw and hang out in drawchat?

Maybe we need an official reunion or something. If you all think of some cool ideas, let me know and I will see what I can do to help.

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

#3 01 Jul, 2014 4:19 am

I haven't been on for 3 years and I wanted to check up on everything, see how it's going. Probably 5 years ago, my friend introduced me to RMA (rate my animations) where I learned how to use frame by frame software to create little silent animations for people to enjoy. I checked up on that a while back to learn that the site was temporarily shut down, so I checked here to look for updates.

I really do think we need to find a way to keep this place alive. I loved using drawchat when it was more active. I would always find a really creative group to brainstorm and eventually finish a well designed project.

RMA helped me discover a new hobby and possibly my career path, and RMD helped me get to know the community more. I hate to see it all diminish like this. Maybe we could tell more people about it, maybe try to contact the old.

Last edited by drummergirlerin (01 Jul, 2014 4:19 am)

#4 02 Jul, 2014 2:45 pm

A reunion sounds cool, I was thinking more along the lines of ways we can help new people become a part of the community, a place where they'd love to return to and share their drawings with one another.

More than anything, RMD has given me friends I'm very fond of and look up to.

#5 02 Jul, 2014 8:58 pm

We could try advertisement but in a free way, spreading the word, maybe making banners or fliers.

#6 02 Jul, 2014 10:00 pm

I agree with the fact that RMD is not as lively as it used to be. I've been almost 3 years in RMD and I remember that you would reload the main page and a new drawing would appear, that DC was always full of people, well...not always for the time zone differences thingy...
My sister used to use RMD but she left as soon as it became a less active site.

The point is, that many  people went to dA and stuff or maybe they died o-o okno, so maybe making advertisements on dA for people, not only to come back, but also for them to join, I actually think it's a pretty fun site since there are more chances for other people to see your art ewe!

ohman this is somewhat long O:

.-. .................yo..................  ._.

#7 03 Jul, 2014 12:47 pm

everyone has cellphones now you should make a drawchat app that lets people go into the drawchat from their phones and tablets and also update drawchat. not even really just to draw, people like being there to talk with their friends. im sure people would use it.

and drawchat in in itself needs to be updated. should be able to have a larger drawing area. i have a friend who used to come on dc all the time but you changed how the tools worked and apparently it made the lines worse so she stopped using dc.

the drawchat drawing tools need to be improved, not just sloppily updated.

add features that java draw has to drawchat.

Last edited by Acelain (03 Jul, 2014 12:53 pm)

I have all the koalafications

#8 03 Jul, 2014 2:19 pm

RMD needs more advertisement, whether that's from Mick or RMD's own members. Anything that can be done to spread the word about the site is a possibility to add more members, but just giving it exposure is not enough.

It has to sink its hooks in you and entice you to stay.

When I first came here, my big excitement was that this place was different from other places. I wasn't aware of deviantART, or conceptart.

It just made it all really easy to make artwork, submit it into the community and Drawchat was just like an extension of that.

Now we have Chibipaint and that other drawing tool, which I'm sad to say is quite a terrible application. It's buggy, and it lacks essential features.

Flash isn't what it used to be, and it's the only thing Drawchat has to offer. We've also got really small canvases. RMD's biggest problem is that its innovations no longer make up for the lack of usability. The tools are primitive, almost a bit too much, and creativity is curbed.

And other features of the site have to be bug-free, and be easy and simple to work without annoying bugs or confusing lay-outs.

Right now, I'm sure a ton of manga artists see no reason to stick with RMD when they can continue using the more dynamic SAI, or Photoshop to submit work to the bigger community of dA, or what have you. And the more passionate, faithful artists still don't have as much control as they might like to have for their artwork.

Last edited by Forte (03 Jul, 2014 2:22 pm)

#9 03 Jul, 2014 5:01 pm

Acelain wrote:

everyone has cellphones now you should make a drawchat app that lets people go into the drawchat from their phones and tablets and also update drawchat. not even really just to draw, people like being there to talk with their friends. im sure people would use it.

and drawchat in in itself needs to be updated. should be able to have a larger drawing area. i have a friend who used to come on dc all the time but you changed how the tools worked and apparently it made the lines worse so she stopped using dc.

This this this right here. If dc had an app id be there a lot more, and im sure others would be too

..And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell,
"Just another soldier reporting, sir. I've served my time in Hell."

#10 04 Jul, 2014 11:11 am

Acelain wrote:

Drawchat for tablet and mobile devices sounds pretty neat, and it would also be a very useful feature for the site in terms of advertisement; it's a unique app that I don't think has been done yet.  It might also be useful to have a Drawchat app for Chrome.

Here are some of the features and improvements I suggested that could be made to Drawchat:

- Login by pressing Enter
- Increased FPS; right now the FPS is really low, which causes jittering when Drawchat is in Full-screen mode. The FPS could be raised to 30 or 60. This might however cause some problems for existing members if they are used to the current FPS.
- Improved Drawchat design
- HTML5 Canvas version instead of Flash; flash is slowly dying and being replaced by HTML5

Forte wrote:

Now we have Chibipaint and that other drawing tool, which I'm sad to say is quite a terrible application. It's buggy, and it lacks essential features.

Chibipaint is excellent in my opinion. If you're referring to Canvas draw, then I agree, it could be improved, or it could be used as a really big stepping stone on the road to improving Drawchat (see HTML5 point above.)

I have a lot of free time, so I could come up with some designs for the Desktop Drawchat and the Drawchat apps.

#11 04 Jul, 2014 5:17 pm

http://i.imgur.com/IQ0RUmr.jpg

So there's some changes clearly. I don't know how this will provide customization regarding layouts however to counter this, the left side tab (with the toolbox) will always remain left and the right side tab (with the chat and room sections) will always remain right. This means that on higher resolutions, you can resize the canvas and there will be much more room.

There could be a way you can move the sections around and save the layouts, like the layout customization on Photoshop.

One noticeable feature is the Friends section, which shows how many friends are online and what room they're currently in. You might have also noticed that there's a "Games Room", which is an idea for Drawchat, as I see a lot of people playing drawing games; this room could have limitations or "rules" centered around each game.  This might also be more appealing to new users, providing a way to socialize with the community, play games and draw, all at once!

Another noticeable change is the lack of tools. Firstly, all shapes (circle, square, filled circle, filled square) are located in the Shape Tool. The eyedropper tool has been removed because the new design relies on right clicking to grab colors, like in Chibi Paint. The move canvas tool has been removed because the new design relies on middle clicking to move the canvas, also like in Chibi Paint. The zoom tool has been removed - the three options it provided are static and had limits. Instead, you can grab any corner of the canvas and resize it to whatever size you want. This could also implement middle-wheel scrolling to zoom in and out. I forgot to include the Reference Image tool, however, there is plenty of room in the toolbox to add it, and then some.

The boxes shown next to the tools are tooltips, which display the information associated to the tools. It also shows the size of the brush and the alpha %. The tooltip could also be used in multiple places on the canvas, such as showing the list of users in a room when you hover over the room name, or what time a user joined DrawChat.

At the top is the current drawing's name and statistics based on who has drawn the associated percentage on the canvas. It's designed so that you can scroll horizontally through each user's statistics on the current drawing. It's also sorted from highest % to lowest %. You can also rename the drawing at the top so that people know what you're drawing there and then.  When you submit a drawing, the name you use to submit it will get applied to the top regardless.

The chat is changed slightly; It now notifies you when users leave the room, and join and leave messages are bold. The Send button is no longer visible, since hardly anyone uses it; they just press Enter. You can put it back if you want to though, it just seems a little underused. Usernames are also shown in their correct case, instead of them being sent to lowercase.

The color scheme nearly matches the site's main color scheme, keeping it consistent. As an added bonus, why not provide functionality to alter the color scheme?

Let me know what you all think, if there's something you would change, or add, or remove! smile

EDIT:

More info:

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_display.asp
Based on the statistics above I've determined that the smallest size for Drawchat to display on is 1280x768. Screens with higher resolutions would increase the height of the "Users in room" section, the "Friends online" section and the Chat section, allowing more information to be displayed.

A 1920x1080 version of this image (Drawchat in fullscreen): http://i.imgur.com/DPBFT5Y.jpg

Some more suggestions that I think would come in useful:

- Pen width smaller than 1 (for fine lineart and sketches)
- Download canvas image state (*.png) or upload to imgur (using their API.)

Last edited by Dommos (04 Jul, 2014 7:36 pm)

#12 04 Jul, 2014 5:23 pm

I love the idea! It looks so much better and improved!smile

#13 05 Jul, 2014 2:01 am

love the design dommos

..And when he gets to Heaven, to Saint Peter he will tell,
"Just another soldier reporting, sir. I've served my time in Hell."

#14 05 Jul, 2014 9:17 pm

I've always tried to be at least somewhat active on RMD, but recently I've been pretty inactive for two reasons. The first is that I used to log in to talk to friends, but all my friends haven't been online in a while now. The second is that I used to love using Java because it was better than the drawing programs I had on my computer, but more recently I got a new drawing program and I prefer to use it now.

I have noticed that there are fewer active members on RMD than there used to be, and it's sad. It was so much fun when I joined 4 years ago, but now it's lonely.

Sonic is my favorite character now. smile

#15 06 Jul, 2014 2:59 pm

I think an upgrade on the site would be nice but it would also take some time. We would have to be patient.

#16 06 Jul, 2014 6:58 pm

I'm really confused by the screenshot. And why am I in it?

Last edited by Forte (06 Jul, 2014 6:59 pm)

#17 06 Jul, 2014 9:54 pm

Forte wrote:

It's a concept design I made that represents a new version of drawchat.

Its a demonstration of the friends section. I just took people who had posted to this thread at the time.

Last edited by Dommos (06 Jul, 2014 9:56 pm)

#18 07 Jul, 2014 1:01 am

The poor message system really puts me off. I can't be arsed to reply directly since and for some reason using the reply button doesn't notify anyone.

Communicating on this website feels like a lot of unecessary time and effort.

Also there's some sort of java issue I tried to solve in the past but nope, I can only use flash.

There are many bugs that need solving on this site I think~ Also the website name is irrelevant now =u= why is there rates for drawchats btw

Egh. I like using the flash tool but apart from that, I'm not enthusiastic about this website.

#19 07 Jul, 2014 1:43 am

Dommos wrote:

Forte wrote:

It's a concept design I made that represents a new version of drawchat.

Its a demonstration of the friends section. I just took people who had posted to this thread at the time.

Ah, so like a fake screenshot? That makes sense.

It looks interesting~ Don't know how I feel about the color scheme, though.

#20 08 Jul, 2014 6:49 pm

I like everyone's suggestions. Fixing the glitches, making it less confusing, reunions, more advertising/spreading the word, updating DrawChat/the tools and making it more mobile all sound like excellent ideas. I especially think there should be notifications when someone posts a comment on your profile/replies to your comment on a/your drawing/or mentions your name etc. As well as getting rid of the 30 second rule to commenting and sending private messages.

Last edited by anim3luver (09 Jul, 2014 5:49 pm)

:3

Board footer

120 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.