Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 29 Dec, 2010 6:30 am

Very slight user ranking adjustments

I recently posted a Christmas message that talked about some interesting user ranking statistics...

The original post is here: http://www.ratemydrawings.com/community … p?id=21683

But to make it easy I have posted the relevant text below...

This time of year is all about sharing, and it comes at an interesting time that recently it was discovered that there was a 5-way tie for top ranked artist on RateMyDrawings. This is a first in the history of our website and perhaps a reminder to us all how all the great artists on our website are equally talented and it is near impossible to rank  many artists above or below one another. While I am very happy to see such an interesting rank take place, there will be a very minor update to our ranking system shortly which may shuffle a few people around. Our ranking formula will be getting a little more granular to reflect the number of drawings by top artists that all get ranked so closely to make sure equal-ranking happens less frequently.

There has been an ever-so slight tweak to our ranking formula to make the data more granular. Ranking artists on RMD is a something I really have a hard time (mentally) working on. It seems almost impossible to assign numbers to all the top artists to find out who are the "best". I'm sure many of you would agree that so many artists are equally amazing in their own individual way.  However, this is RateMyDrawings and these ranks do push many of our artists to strive to get better and better - and that can only lead to great things.

Over the coming week, you may notice your rank shifting slightly. With ranking adjustments some people may go up, while others may go down. The statistics that rank artists are so close between artists that it many cases it is hundredths of a percent separating artists, so do your best not to take any rankings downwards as a reflection that you're not doing amazing things as an artist.

And the end of the day, if you are growing as an artist in yourself, then something great is happening and nobody can take that away from you smile

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

#2 19 Aug, 2011 9:30 am

Re: Very slight user ranking adjustments

Once again we have been re-evaluating our user ranking system to ensure it is working in the best way to represent all the data we have about users and their ratings/favorites/etc.

We have made a very small but very robust change to our algorithm that may adjust rankings across the site slightly, in particular the top artists may notice their positions shift. We are very confident this update will better reflect rankings and eliminate any chance that artists are ranked of equal places.

As always, when we make these changes I just like to remind everyone that a rank is just a number, and at the end of the day all our artists are unique in their abilities and in particular I always find it extremely difficult to not simply rank all the top artists first place wink

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

Board footer

141 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.