Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search
! This Topic has been closed.

#1 20 Dec, 2011 12:28 pm

I'M SO ANNOYED WITH......!!!

The rating system ._.

Why can't I rate 1 or 2 or 3 if I feel the person hasn't tried there best and has potential to do well. People need to know that not everyone is going to like their drawings. I feel like people are not looking at how many hearts they have but how many people have hearted their design (if that makes sense).

I just feel as if I'm being fake when I rate and I think RMD seriously needs an attitude change. I honestly feel that if people can't handle a one or two star on their drawing then they shouldn't even be on the rmd.

Us as RMDers, should be able to express their thoughts and we should not be controlled while we youngings enter the world of art.

With me...? What's your view on this?

Last edited by ambrosia_angel (28 Dec, 2011 12:30 pm)

#2 20 Dec, 2011 1:13 pm

Re: I'M SO ANNOYED WITH......!!!

Actually i guess it's a common attitude to do not rate or comment anything that you don't like, so i guess the result of this is only 4-5 stars ratings everywhere. It's not actually quite problem, if you ask me, makes more sense to watch just how popular people's drawings are.
For example i almost got no rates or comments on my drawings so i know they suck, and just trying to get better little by little smile

There is no land but the land...
There is no sea but the sea...
There is no keeper but the key,
Except for those who seize possibilities!!!

#3 20 Dec, 2011 3:29 pm

Hm.. Saying people shouldn't be here for something unimportant like that is rather.. Rude.

RMD is about showing yourself as an artist, of course some artists want to be honest, but you don't need to show your honesty in your rate, but in your comment. In my opinion anyways.

I find comment far more important than ratings.
And the reason why we can't rate 1/2 hearts is because some people bully-rate other artists. I thought it was a big deal when I couldn't rate what I wanted to, but then found the way to tell how I felt about the drawings through comments.

So you don't always need to hurt someone by rating it 1/2 hearts.
Yepp, some people get hurt when someone's rating something low and doesn't even comment WHY they rate it low.

So I think there's nothing wrong with the rating system as it is right now.

/sweats

#4 20 Dec, 2011 4:16 pm

eatbbycks wrote:

Hm.. Saying people shouldn't be here for something unimportant like that is rather.. Rude.

RMD is about showing yourself as an artist, of course some artists want to be honest, but you don't need to show your honesty in your rate, but in your comment. In my opinion anyways.

And the reason why we can't rate 1/2 hearts is because some people bully-rate other artists. I thought it was a big deal when I couldn't rate what I wanted to, but then found the way to tell how I felt about the drawings through comments.

Yepp, some people get hurt when someone's rating something low and doesn't even comment WHY they rate it low.

Agreed. c:

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind." -- Dr. Seuss ♥

#5 20 Dec, 2011 4:22 pm

eatbbycks wrote:

fair reply smile

#6 20 Dec, 2011 11:36 pm

eatbbycks wrote:

agreed

Last edited by Ty lee (20 Dec, 2011 11:37 pm)

COMPOSE YOUR SIGNATURE
A signature is a small piece of text that is attached to your forum posts. In it, you can enter just about anything you like. Perhaps you would like to enter your favorite quote or your star sign. It's up to you!

#7 26 Dec, 2011 3:28 am

The only cases where low ratings are blocked are the following:

- If a drawing is new and has less than a few ratings, we block the lowest ratings to help prevent hate-rating. Statistically we noticed that people who hate-rate out of spite do so when a drawing is new

- If a drawing has a lot of ratings and is rated very high, then we assume the drawing is good enough that it should be protected from low ratings. An example is that if a drawing has 20 5 ratings, then the only reason people usually rate these drawings low is if they want to forcefully try reduce the rating. We find this happens mostly in competitions when people try to push other artists drawings down the ranks to make their drawings move up.

You can read more about this here:
http://www.ratemydrawings.com/pages/rmd … system.php

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

#8 26 Dec, 2011 2:11 pm

But everyone rates a 4 or a 5. So of course you can't give an honest rate to many drawings, because all the other artists who think they have to be nice and dishonest have rated straight fives.

I'd rather have hate-rating than a bunch of dishonest brats love-rating everything because they're afraid of hurting peoples' feelings, or something.

This site isn't about showing how nice you are. It's about rating drawings. The point of a "rate" is to convey how much quality something has from an individual's perspective on a scale of 0 to a specified value, in this case, "5".

Please do come back.
And play, someday.

#9 27 Dec, 2011 12:27 am

VirusX wrote:

But everyone rates a 4 or a 5. So of course you can't give an honest rate to many drawings, because all the other artists who think they have to be nice and dishonest have rated straight fives.

I'd rather have hate-rating than a bunch of dishonest brats love-rating everything because they're afraid of hurting peoples' feelings, or something.

This site isn't about showing how nice you are. It's about rating drawings. The point of a "rate" is to convey how much quality something has from an individual's perspective on a scale of 0 to a specified value, in this case, "5".

I agree with you, but this site's a "Family friendly" community, so it's good as it is right now.

Jump on the skateboard, Yatagarasu~

#10 27 Dec, 2011 1:04 am

^
Then this is not a real art site. This should never be considered a real art site. It's a fun-and-games imitation so that insecure artists who think they suck at drawing can get rated highly without getting butthurt because they got an imperfect rate.

"Ratemydrawings" is not a suitable site name. It's misleading. You come to this site thinking about rates, like the one I defined earlier. You think of trying to get high ratings from low ratings. There's something to work for. You don't think of a bunch of younger teens saying "My God, I love this so much" on even your half-assed drawings that you KNOW you didn't work hard on.

Please do come back.
And play, someday.

#11 27 Dec, 2011 3:04 pm

People know what they get when they enter the website.
They know what ratings to expect. Either good rates or bad rates.
A coin has got two sides. You can't only get the nice side.

RMD is no/a difference.

I have an idea for a new rating system though x'D. But too much of a story to write and I doubt if Mick is willing to write such a (long?) script to get it into the system o3o
well, I'm off now. Somebody has to play dat wii >: /

#12 27 Dec, 2011 4:48 pm

The rating system as it is now is something that has been tweaked over the years based on how people are rating on the site. Statistically there are very very few people who rate 1's and 2's... a fraction of a fraction of a percent - and those people that do rate these numbers generally do it out of spite - to try and force a drawing to be lower rated than it is. People very rarely rate a drawing 1 or 2 when it deserves it.

I honestly wish everyone would rate honestly all the time... it would keep things more fair, but since the world of YouTubers (who no longer have a 5-rating system) and Facebook (who has a like system) has become the normal way of rating - this is how most people rate... (everyone just click's 5 to say they approve of something).

Rating changes are not happening in the near future, but they are on the table to be re-evaluated into something that makes more sense than what we have today.

Regarding the name "RateMyDrawings" - yes, it's not the perfect smile

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

#13 27 Dec, 2011 4:53 pm

VirusX wrote:

^
Then this is not a real art site. This should never be considered a real art site. It's a fun-and-games imitation so that insecure artists who think they suck at drawing can get rated highly without getting butthurt because they got an imperfect rate.

"Rating" and "real art site" are two words that will never mix well together. Artists are precious and art is in the eye of the beholder. Having people tell you your art is a number is something that most true artists detest, but I would gladly debate whether our home here is still an art site. Surely the half a million drawings here are enough evidence that there is a pretty huge amount of amazing artists who hang out here creating art. Would adding a 1 to 10 rating system all of a sudden make it more of an art site? wink

#14 27 Dec, 2011 5:27 pm

This topic has been up so many times during the years I have been on RMD.. and there is really no solid solution... first of all it is all in the eye of the beholder, I might think a drawing is awesome others might hate it, I am 48 and has another view on art and the world in general than a person beeing 14...so we rate differently...what if a person has done a great drawing compared to what they normally would - should that be compared to the best artists in here and get low ratings or should it get good ratings for improvement ??????  What I do is simple and works for me..if I dislike a drawing or find it uninteresting I just don't vote....on the other hand if I find it good or interesting and if a young/new artist is improving I vote and comment - explaining what I like about the drawing..Drawing that I really really like I fav,,,, big_smile

Draw for pleasure..
draw for fun ..
draw for a better world...
but please draw first and foremost for your own sake

#15 27 Dec, 2011 7:03 pm

The only honest rating I know of is what people are willing to pay you for your art work.

#16 27 Dec, 2011 7:29 pm

Artist-KGH wrote:

The only honest rating I know of is what people are willing to pay you for your art work.

well said http://shikaya.org/wp-content/pics/Facebook_Like_thumbs_up_small.png

Cheee~eeZe

#17 27 Dec, 2011 10:09 pm

I'd never pay for art, that's a load of bull.

Jump on the skateboard, Yatagarasu~

#18 27 Dec, 2011 10:33 pm

mellmonster wrote:

I bet you do!
Look around you:
movies, music, clothes, toys, games, cards,
you pay for the design of you cellphone or other hightech stuff you buy, stuff like that..
smile

#19 27 Dec, 2011 10:49 pm

sadlave wrote:

mellmonster wrote:

I bet you do!
Look around you:
movies, music, clothes, toys, games, cards,
you pay for the design of you cellphone or other hightech stuff you buy, stuff like that..
smile

Lol, nice Sadlave.
Lots of people seem to only consider it art when you can hang it on your wall.

-... . - / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. .----. - / .-. . .- -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.-

#20 28 Dec, 2011 1:25 am

mick wrote:

"Rating" and "real art site" are two words that will never mix well together. Artists are precious and art is in the eye of the beholder.
Having people tell you your art is a number is something that most true artists detest, but I would gladly debate whether our home here is still an art site. Surely the half a million drawings here are enough evidence that there is a pretty huge amount of amazing artists who hang out here creating art.Would adding a 1 to 10 rating system all of a sudden make it more of an art site? wink

Fair enough. You're right.

Please do come back.
And play, someday.

Board footer

101 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.