Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 31 Jul, 2012 1:50 am

CD-How to put grid lines on a ref without Photoshop?

Hey, so i'm trying to use a ref for a drawing on CanvasDraw. Since on this tutorial ( http://www.ratemydrawings.com/tutorials … awing.html ) they used grid lines to help with proportion, I was wondering if there was a way to put grid lines on a ref without Photoshop since I don't have it.

Thank you~

#2 01 Aug, 2012 3:48 am

Re: CD-How to put grid lines on a ref without Photoshop?

Assuming that you have MS Paint, a print screen button:

1. Open Paint using Start>All Programs>Accessories>Paint and then paste your reference.  Also, stretch paint out so that it has plenty of extra room.

2. Then make your RMD canvas completely white (using another layer if you have to), and only leave the grid lines (if you are drawing the grid lines yourself, use a pixel brush).

3. Print screen the entire white gridded RMD canvas using the Print Screen button on the top right of your keyboard.

4. Go to your Paint window that already has your ref pasted, and click Edit>Paste.  This should paste the Entire window that you print screened.

5. Move the window you pasted so that it doesn't overlap your reference, then using the selecting tools, select and delete all of the pieces of the window that you pasted that are around the white and gridded canvas that's inside the window.

6. You should only have your reference and a white and gridded canvas left in MS Paint-make sure they're not overlapping. Using the select tool, select the reference and resize it so that it's about the same size as the white and gridded canvas.  Make sure they are next to each other, and they're not overlapping.

7.  Select the white and gridded canvas, then move it directly over the reference.  You shouldn't be able to see the reference underneath it.  Without deselecting it, look for a setting on the left..There is a transparency setting that you can click to make all of the white invisible.  If you know what that is, click that and you should be done-If you don't:
On the left bar near the middle there should be a button that's highlighted (I think it's the second to last setting).  Click the other setting that looks like it (I think it looks a like a square and some other shapes).  It should make all of the white invisible, leaving only the grid lines over the picture.

Sorry if that's a little bit wordy or hard to follow.. I'm sure there's an easier way to do it, but that way was suitable for me before I found out that I had Photoshop.

If the directions are too hard to follow, or if it doesn't work for you, or even if you just don't have Paint, feel free to private message me about it, and I'll be happy to do it for you. smile

If my inbox is full, leave a strongly worded post on my wall, lecturing me to clean it out, and I will!

Board footer

173 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.