Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 17 Oct, 2012 11:17 pm

Any of you out there use watercolors?

Hullo!

I just began using Watercolors and I was wondering if there were any tips or advice.

My main question is: How the heck do you "wet the paper" I've seen so many different ways, I just want the simplest, cheapest, and easiest. xD Do you have to wait overnight for it to be done? (That's what one dude said but a whole bunch of others never said how long you have to wait) Do you pull the tape off and then paint or paint with it still on?

Also, whenever I paint I always pick up far too much paint on my brush (especially for only little areas I need from that color). Any tips on how to control how much you pick up? I use tissue to wipe up the areas I did too much on. tongue

If there us any other advice or tips it would be much appreciated!

Last edited by art_attack (17 Oct, 2012 11:18 pm)

VIVA IL PAPA FRANCIS!!! :-)

Proud member of the Squirtle Squad. We're watching you,

#2 17 Oct, 2012 11:48 pm

Re: Any of you out there use watercolors?

I love using watercolors but I have no clue how to do it "properly"... xD

I've heard of wetting paper... but I use watercolor paper so I have no clue how to do that. =u=;;

Normally when I use watercolors, I put a bit of water on the area I'm going to paint and then apply the paint. Then I move onto another section so the paint won't mix. To pick up less paint, I just have a lot of water on my brush... or you can use the paint that comes in the dried blocks in the box thingys... this thing:

http://www.gunnisonartscenter.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/watercolors2.jpg

For those, I put a lot of water into it to wet them and then dip lightly. The ones in the tubes are so hard to use (for me) so I just use them like acrylics... xD

I dry my brush to remove extra paint cause it's more precise~ ouo Having a wide range of brushes is also very helpful.

Also, try not to apply too much water to an area cause the paper turns all wrinkled and stuff o-o;;

Yep... that's pretty much all I know about watercolors OTL

#3 18 Oct, 2012 2:28 am

nao

To wet your paper, you simply just get some spray bottle and spray it on the paper. I wait about 10 minutes for it to dry before painting. If you have thicker paper than standard printer paper, you don't really need to wet your paper, since it's unlikely for it to curl or wrinkle up XD

I'm assuming you have pan watercolors so Q-tips and cotton balls are your friends if you want a more controlled painting experience. It's good to have different sized brushes. If you don't have it, try to avoid adding water to the paint in the pan as much as possible, to keep it dry so the paint brush doesn't pick up a whole lot of paint. More water= more paint. Keep tissues handy to dry off your brush and stuff.  :U

If you're getting too frustrated with the paint, maybe you should try to look into watercolor pencils? xD They're basically watercolors ....in pencil form. =w=b

edit: ....how come there's a post about hair and stuff? LOL

Last edited by nao (18 Oct, 2012 2:29 am)

senpaiiii, notice me. D;

#4 18 Oct, 2012 6:00 am

@Aphetide; Haha! I use watercolor paper too, but it still bends and warps whenever I put the darned paint on it.

@Nao, When you put the spray bottle do you flatten it to a surface with tape or clips or do you just spray without anything holding it in place? I actually use tube watercolors (I didn't even know there was something called pan watercolors. (until I googled it just now) I am very new to painting lol xD) I haven't  been beaten down by painting yet, and I felt like I needed a change in mediums. 

Stupid spaaammmm! P:

ALSO, it would be so awesome if you guys uploaded some of your watercolor doodles or pictures. I'd LOVEEE to see some of your work. Watercolor looks so beautiful! Tomorrow I might upload some of the doodles I did earlier.

#5 18 Oct, 2012 7:27 am

nao

xD I used to tape it, but then the tape was like ripping off some paper off. So now, I know this is bad, but I usually put it in between books instead of taping or pinning it down, but it'll curl a bit if you don't tape or pin it down.

I personally think pan watercolors are easier, but that's probably because I grew up using them. You should experiment with the tube watercolors more before you switch mediums? xD

Oh, and I want to point something out, but some school graded brands of pan watercolors tend to be sticky. At least, over here where they sell it. :U

senpaiiii, notice me. D;

#6 18 Oct, 2012 3:19 pm

Ah! Clever! I guess I just need to experiment to see what kind of method works for me.

Oops,  I meant I needed a change in mediums and that is why I am interested in doing watercolors. (I rarely leave my beloved pencil, so I felt like it was time for a change xD)

#7 18 Oct, 2012 4:51 pm

..... i just use watercolor pencils and i have no idea what the hell im doing :'D

this post is helpful though... KEEP POSTING, KEEP POSTING. :>

Who came up with hugs? The very first hug must have really been creepy.
"What're you doing.....why are you holding me?"
"Just....trust me on this one. "

#8 18 Oct, 2012 6:59 pm

I did my Senior project in College(for my BA degree) as portraiture in watercolor.  I have also taught watercolor classes.  I use tube watercolors.  The dry cake stuff just doesn't cut it color wise.

If you are interested in using the wet on wet technique, invest in a watercolor board into which you can insert push pins.  Never use tape.  The chemicals in the adhesive will damage the paper.  Use a good quality cold press watercolor paper grade 120 or higher.  These seem to buckle less when wet.  Watercolor paper in pads also have a tendency to buckle, but are great for wet on dry and watercolor sketches.

To wet the paper, you simply use an elephant ear sponge(thin natural sponge, triangular shaped, can be found in any art supply place).  Any excess water can be removed with the sponge, and there is no need to wait an hour before painting.

It is important to remember that watercolor painting is not like acrylic or oils, where you put in your highlights at the end.  The paper is your white, and you build your painting from light to dark, building up your darks as a series of transparencies, and yes you will use water to dilute the paint.  Controlling the amount and darkness of the paint will come with experience.  In the meantime, it is better to use the sponge and paintbrush(wipe dry, then absorb excess with the tip of the brush)than using a paper towel which will remove too much color and leave the surface splotchy.

Even drying is also important.  For this reason you will want to have your board tilted rather than flat.  Gravity will help prevent puddling .  Dryer areas will leach color from wetter ones and leave a mottled area on the painting.(this tendency can be used for effect too, so it is not always a bad thing.  For instance, try adding some grains of salt on the painting when it is nearly dry, to get a speckled area)

Here is one of my watercolors from my Facebook page--Hope it works...  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid … amp;ref=nf

If you can't beat 'em, send 'em to their room

#9 18 Oct, 2012 8:10 pm

Oh so that's what those things are called =u=;; *doesn't know anything whatsoever* I do have a painting from when we used watercolors in class once but it's too ugly to post ;w;b ... I should go find my watercolor pencils ;A; your post makes me want to paint xD

#10 20 Oct, 2012 6:00 am

@Agyla Hmmm, what are the main differences between wet on wet and wet on dry? Do you only use the wetting paper process if you are doing wet on dry? (Sorry, like I said I am quite new to this and don't quite know the basics. Plus Google isn't really helping! T_T) Also, the picture didn't work! sad It said the content is currently unavailable

@Aphetide! Hahaha I know how you feel! I didn't even know how watercolor pencils worked until my sister told me earlier today (I thought they were just pencils with lighter more pastel colors ._.) And oh puh-leaaaze! You're just being silly! I wannaa seeee itt!

Aaahhh! I happened to mention to one of the customer's at the place where I volunteer at that I recently started experimenting with watercolor and half an hour later she came back and gave me some water colors (including pan watercolors, yay!!! big_smile) I didn't have any time to take a picture of my doodle paintings. (scanner is acting up boo!)

Last edited by art_attack (20 Oct, 2012 7:00 pm)

#11 20 Oct, 2012 3:58 pm

I love pan watercolors ;u; The one's in tubes are hard to use cause I suck OTL

my ugleh painting ;u;

#12 20 Oct, 2012 8:22 pm

Pooo! D: For some reason the link takes me to gmail and says "We’re sorry, but your Gmail account is temporarily unavailable" (when I go to gmail by another link gmail is working fine o.e)

Last edited by art_attack (21 Oct, 2012 12:45 am)

#13 23 Oct, 2012 2:27 am

Ermagersh  b e r m p!

#14 27 Oct, 2012 6:10 am

B u m p!!! D;

#15 28 Oct, 2012 3:47 pm

I'm working in this right now C:

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2nkao2&s=6

#16 09 Nov, 2012 4:40 am

Oh dangit! I forgot about this thread!! xD

Aphetide! Whadda heck you talkin' about!? It looks amazing! I love how you used purples and yellows to create the skin tone, and the eyes are just beautyfull!!! *_*  I love the colors you can do with watercoloooooor! Sadly I haven't done watercolor in quite awhile. ._. I'm so lazy! >_<

#17 09 Nov, 2012 7:37 am

Wet on wet is where you wet the paper  before painting on it.  Your edges will be softened.  Wet on dry uses dry paper, and your edges will be harder

If you can't beat 'em, send 'em to their room

#18 10 Nov, 2012 2:50 am

best way is wait for your first stroke to dry first

アクションなしのビジョンは白昼夢である。

#19 08 Jan, 2013 9:46 am

I love watercolours but I dont really use watercolour paper.
I use bristol board \ illustration board.
Its mainly for wet on dry, but you can wet the surface and go from there.
But because its not textured or absorbant like paper is, if too much is put on it runs.

As for stretching paper. I normally use gum tape which I hate using but I have yet to find another method, but I rarely use paper anyway.

For having too much paint on brush, just have a tissue or sponge in other hand and just wipe off the excess paint.

#20 08 Jan, 2013 9:48 am

I bought some last July. Used them once. Then gave up xD
I will learn how to use them one day.

Hakuna matata.

Board footer

136 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.