Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 31 Dec, 2012 6:43 am

Need help coloring in!

Ok, so I've been getting okay at sketching pictures, but my problem is when I even shade or try to color it in it makes it worse!  Can I please have some tips?  Thanks!

Last edited by cvm2007 (31 Dec, 2012 6:44 am)

Calm down and love drawing and One Direction.

#2 31 Dec, 2012 8:11 am

Re: Need help coloring in!

there are tutorials on this site, although a few, and there also a lot of tutorials on deviantart. But shading correctly is mainly practice.

Also, keep the shape of the things you shade in your mind. A face isn't flat, it has curves and you should shade around those curves. Just open up your 3d program in your head and you'll have a better idea how the shadows should be applied to the face.

Shadows have multiple levels. You can nuance the differences between those levels by blurring the edges of the shadows a little bit or airbrush over it with a low opacity.

yeah... that's it >_>

Can't clap along.
I don't know what being a room without roof feels like.

#3 17 Jan, 2013 6:32 pm

By "Making in worse" you mean it blurs, then maybe you could outline with a pen first ( erase the pencil markings a minute or two later depending on the pen ) then make sure the pen ink is dry and color. That way it shouldn't smear.

Hey I just met you
And this is crazy~
But join this website ; http://www.ratemyanimations.com/index.php
And animate, maybe?

#4 18 Jan, 2013 9:42 am

I don't know if this is the problem, but it helps to put your lineart over your coloring. If you're using the Flash tool, you could do that by drawing the colors and shading first, and then the lineart. If you're using the Java or CanvasDraw tools, you could do that by coloring on layers under your lineart. In the Java and CanvasDraw tools, it also helps to lock the coloring layers and shade on them.

Sonic is my favorite character now. smile

Board footer

190 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

Copyright Mixart New Media LLC.
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide