Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 12 Sep, 2013 9:14 am

How to be awesome at drawing.

Follow a very strict, consistent practice of various things.

One full painting/drawing a day,
At least 20 gestures sketches of the body, human or otherwise,
At least one hour-long study painting/drawing from life,
At least 5 sketches of various hand postures,
At least 5 sketches of various facial expressions,
EVERY day, for at least a year.

Learn color theory, apply it, learn how light really works, and how shadows occur, practice composition, and black and white values. Practice the things you're not good at, like hands or feet, or backgrounds.

Go to dA and surround yourself with paintings done by professional or otherwise expert artists, until you're used to it, strive to be similar, if desired, but aim past it. It's not enough to simply settle for being as good as someone, when you have the ability to surpass them. Always, always look at drawings that inspire you. And photography as well, if you appreciate it. Regularly view the art the inspires you the most. Even if it's not technically well-drawn, perhaps it has other values that make it just as inspiring?

Do all of this on a daily basis, every. single. day for a year or two, and I guarantee you'll improve past the horizon you're looking to now.

I highly doubt anyone has that kinda free time on their hands, but I thought I'd share this in case anyone was wondering how to improve. This is how. lol

What you practice doesn't matter as much as practicing it consistently. And that's the same when improving any kind of ability.

#2 13 Sep, 2013 5:52 am

Re: How to be awesome at drawing.

Maybe you should start a Youtube channel called
Cam Age 18
With videos called
How to draw really awesome.

Huehuehuehuehuehue

-... . - / -.-- --- ..- / -.-. .- -. .----. - / .-. . .- -.. / - .... .. ... .-.-.-

#3 13 Sep, 2013 6:57 am

This is very helpful but... What if drawing something’s are a lot more difficult to do? I mean...say you've looked at a lot of 'how to' videos, DA tips, and the lot (doing this all in my free time) but still have an extremely difficult time finding out what works best? You got any tips on how to help with that since it's hand in hand with being awesome at drawing...

Shading like a mad man is NOT a crime!

#4 13 Sep, 2013 7:59 am

Manic_Sadistic wrote:

This is very helpful but... What if drawing something’s are a lot more difficult to do? I mean...say you've looked at a lot of 'how to' videos, DA tips, and the lot (doing this all in my free time) but still have an extremely difficult time finding out what works best? You got any tips on how to help with that since it's hand in hand with being awesome at drawing...

I don't understand the question.

If you have a difficult time drawing something, it's because you either haven't practiced it much and lack knowledge and understanding, or your ability just isn't as good at specific parts as others might be, while your strengths might be difficult to achieve with another person's abilities.

But it can all be improved by carving out your ability on a daily basis. The more time spent practicing, the better.

#5 13 Sep, 2013 8:27 am

This would probably be very easy to achieve if I put time and effort into drawing and wasn't such a lazy butt all the time. Oh, and getting distracted very easily isn't helpful... lol. Practice is good. I think if I thoroughly studied the male body and drew it more often, then I'd be a pro. ~*0*~

#6 13 Sep, 2013 9:43 pm

You forgot to mention that somewhere in there is participating in RMD, hanging out with other artists here, collaborating with drawings and drawchat wink

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

#7 13 Sep, 2013 11:09 pm

mick wrote:

You forgot to mention that somewhere in there is participating in RMD, hanging out with other artists here, collaborating with drawings and drawchat wink

Right! Collaborating with other artists, interacting with other artists is a BIG way to improve your skill.
But some of us are lone-artists, taking our own path to greatness, a-ha~

Last edited by Forte (13 Sep, 2013 11:09 pm)

#8 14 Sep, 2013 6:59 am

mick wrote:

Yes! That is VERY fun! ....If only I could get back into that. x)

Board footer

193 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.