Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#1 30 Jan, 2014 12:18 am

Modifying ChibiPaint

Oh Ok after a lot of pain, suffering and frustration (not a good way to start a topic perhaps big_smile )
Actually I just wanted to share my attempts of making something better out of ChibiPaint (which you may know as RMD Java tool), I just felt that I need to create a new topic instead of previous one ("Downloading ChibiPaint") to gain more attention perhaps or just to have a fresh start, kinda.
I know my work most likely was in vain but still if some people will read this and if part of them will try to use it, I would be in the 7th heaven)

I will not write a lot of description here, just try to put a shortlist of the changes I made, some are totally minor and some are quite major(especially on invisible to user side), if this topic gets more attention I will maybe edit initial post with more info and pictures.

1) That was already mentioned, but full offline working mode, with remembering positions and states of everything, conversion to simple format images, remembering recent files, tracking unsaved changes, creating new images of any resolution. Previously unmentioned - pasting images to or copying images from offline ChibiPaint.

2) Selection support, selection behaves similar to any drawing program out there. By support I mean - 3 operations for selection creation - rectangle, freehand (aka lasso) and magic wand. Unification, subtraction, or intersection from/with currently selected stuff (by holding shift, control, alt respectively) with any of these tools. 'Select All', 'Deselect', 'Invert Selection' standard operations. Limitation of all the drawing, erasing, flood fill and any kind of effect operation by current selection.

3) Transform support. Through 'Ctrl+T' - for now it's only affine transformations which include - moving, rotating, stretching/shrinking by the side, sretching/shrinking by the angle. Plus typical operations - rotate 90 degrees CW, CCW, Flip Horizontally or Vertically.

4) Advanced Flood Fill support where you can choose threshold of Flood Fill and with "Sample All Layers" checkbox checked you may fill according to whole image rather than just current layer (useful for lineart coloring). Also there is interactive mode where you can move cursor up and down after you pressed mouse button and preview which area will be filled after mouse button will go up. All the stuff mentioned here applies also to "Magic Wand" (because it's basically the same action but for creating/changing selection)

5) Small Stuff - added 'Show/Hide all layers' action,  Two new effects - 'Gaussian Blur' and 'Make Grayscale', possibility to apply effects to all layers simultaneously, fixed some little interface bugs, a little bit optimized some stuff.

Also on invisible side I've changed a lot of code and this could have broken some things pretty easily))

Here's download link if anyone's interested:
http://abysslimits.com/chibipaint.php
(it's php because I implemented simplest ever download counter, actually it points to .jar file)

Source code:
https://github.com/Predelnik/chibipaintmod

So about future:
1) Any bug reports will be appreciated no matter what.
2) Feature requests will be appreciated too of course)) but it'll probably depend on my mood actually, for example - currently somehow I feel that all the stuff I implemented was almost for nothing, but at least I've learnt something while doing this.
3) After all of this modifications ChibiPaint still works just fine as an online applet (without first item from my list obviously... and it needs to be compiled differently), but with strange intention of killing applets in Oracle's latest Java patch I doubt it would be very handy sad

Last edited by Predelnik (31 Jan, 2014 8:52 pm)

There is no land but the land...
There is no sea but the sea...
There is no keeper but the key,
Except for those who seize possibilities!!!

#2 30 Jan, 2014 12:47 am

Re: Modifying ChibiPaint

oh wow.

The only thing I could make in java were coloured circles, blocks and triangles.
I made a house on grass with a man out of it. I was so proud :'D

you really deserve something for this o.o

trying it out right now P;
I'll post results later

#3 30 Jan, 2014 6:50 am

Oh wow, I was so excited to see this thread big_smile You added so many features. I've been waiting for this and will definitely be trying it as soon as I find the time to.

Predelnik wrote:

3) After all of this modifications ChibiPaint still works just fine as an online applet (without first item from my list obviously... and it needs to be compiled differently), but with strange intention of killing applets in Oracle's latest Java patch I doubt it would be very handy sad

Does this mean that after I update to the newest version of Java, the modified ChibiPaint will sometimes just randomly close while I'm drawing? hmm

Last edited by Parfois (30 Jan, 2014 11:53 am)

#4 30 Jan, 2014 11:34 am

red*rogue wrote:

oh wow.

The only thing I could make in java were coloured circles, blocks and triangles.
I made a house on grass with a man out of it. I was so proud :'D

you really deserve something for this o.o

trying it out right now P;
I'll post results later

Oh, thank you, hope you'll find it usable) My only experience with java is limited to ChibiPaint actually, so I'm not that cool with it))

Parfois wrote:

Oh wow, I was so excited to see this thread big_smile You added so many features. I've been waiting for this and will definitely be trying it as soon as I find the time to.

Predelnik wrote:

Does this mean that after I update to the newest version of Java, the modified ChibiPaint will sometimes just randomly close while I'm drawing? hmm

No, it only means that you will probably find the problems with using ChibiPaint on this website or with other java apps on any other website. For me to make almost any java online app work now I need to add it to exceptions in java options, that kinda sucks.

#5 30 Jan, 2014 11:38 am

http://www.ratemydrawings.com/drawings/ … 44080.html

o_O
since I could import a .png drawing I made in painttool SAI there's something you have to consider:

people can download a really pretty anime picture.
Crop it to 1024x736 in a drawing tool.
Upload it in chibipaintmod. Save it as .chi.
Upload it to website and then save it.

People will do that.

Basically, tons of fan'artists' who literally copy will lose A LOT of credibility.
Wait. what do I care? I hate copied works big_smile!

anyways.
This is a problem in my opinion.
That people can import .png(or other imagefiles) in their chibipaint and then indirectly upload it to RMD.

#6 30 Jan, 2014 11:57 am

Predelnik wrote:

No, it only means that you will probably find the problems with using ChibiPaint on this website or with other java apps on any other website. For me to make almost any java online app work now I need to add it to exceptions in java options, that kinda sucks.

Ohh okay. Well, as long as yours works, I don't really need to use ChibiPaint online, ahah.

Right now I'm just sampling your ChibiPaint. Can the Transform tool be accessed only through the keyboard command "Ctrl+T"? I tried looking for it in all the menus, but didn't see it had an icon or anything.

#7 30 Jan, 2014 12:04 pm

red*rogue wrote:

http://www.ratemydrawings.com/drawings/manga/944080.html

o_O
since I could import a .png drawing I made in painttool SAI there's something you have to consider:

people can download a really pretty anime picture.
Crop it to 1024x736 in a drawing tool.
Upload it in chibipaintmod. Save it as .chi.
Upload it to website and then save it.

People will do that.

Basically, tons of fan'artists' who literally copy will lose A LOT of credibility.
Wait. what do I care? I hate copied works big_smile!

anyways.
This is a problem in my opinion.
That people can import .png(or other imagefiles) in their chibipaint and then indirectly upload it to RMD.

Yeah I thought about that, obviously in online version there is no way to do that. I myself actually never even used offline version for drawing on rmd but that's probably the thing that not everyone would do.

Well partially it's like the question about giving people guns to defend themselves, I mean people may hurt each other but should they be constrained because of this or not, that's a serious question. Basically if people will use ChibiPaint for dA and other websites where drawing goes offline, I would encourage them to use various loading/import and copy/pasting functions for their own good and let the anti-plagiarism policy of web-site they're posting it on to figure it out on it's own.

A little secret - ChibiPaint is opensource and encoding/ decoding .chi is very trivial, so every curious person with a little bit of programming skills(with any language) could convert .png to .chi since the day it was created)

The one thing I could probably do is to make offline application to save in other version of .chi format non-compatible with online version. But that obviously would still be vulnerable just as well to the people mentioned in previous paragraph. Or make the mode where you can use online .chi format but cannot use proper import and interapplication copy/pasting functions.

So basically I'm very reluctant to remove possibility to import other formats from offline entirely, and it's not because I'm encouraging someone to cheat)

#8 30 Jan, 2014 12:09 pm

Parfois wrote:

Predelnik wrote:

Ohh okay. Well, as long as yours works, I don't really need to use ChibiPaint online, ahah.

Right now I'm just sampling your ChibiPaint. Can the Transform tool be accessed only through the keyboard command "Ctrl+T"? I tried looking for it in all the menus, but didn't see it had an icon or anything.

Yeah it's top item in effects menu, I know it does not fit very well there, but looks like I wasn't thinking very much about creating other menus for some reason))

#9 30 Jan, 2014 1:23 pm

Predelnik wrote:

The one thing I could probably do is to make offline application to save in other version of .chi format non-compatible with online version. But that obviously would still be vulnerable just as well to the people mentioned in previous paragraph. Or make the mode where you can use online .chi format but cannot use proper import and interapplication copy/pasting functions.
)

At least do that.
At least make it difficult to cheat ._.

#10 30 Jan, 2014 2:05 pm

red*rogue wrote:

Predelnik wrote:

)

At least do that.
At least make it difficult to cheat ._.

Ok I'll do it in the course of a day or two.

#11 31 Jan, 2014 3:04 am

Ok I've done it, now if you create new .chi file with modified offline ChibiPaint (or import), this file will not be understood by RMD.

But files created by RMD can still be opened by Modified ChibiPaint and will be saved in format understandable for RMD but while working on them pasting images from outside is disabled.

PS I've also added saving of active layer number to new format just cuz I think it's useful)

Last edited by Predelnik (31 Jan, 2014 3:06 am)

#12 31 Jan, 2014 9:54 am

This just reminds me that I wanted to make an art application in C++, something awesome.

#13 09 Mar, 2014 2:53 pm

Sorry for updating this topic without any good reason)
My download counter shows 50 downloads which isn't very much but isn't actually a zero either.

Basically I just wanted to ask if anyone has any positive experience with my changes? I'm not asking for a praise, but just curious have people that downloaded it actually used it or found that it sucks and given it up very soon?)

#14 11 Mar, 2014 4:14 pm

I have downloaded this, and this seems pretty cool, good job!!

#15 14 Mar, 2014 3:44 pm

Predelnik wrote:

Sorry for updating this topic without any good reason)
My download counter shows 50 downloads which isn't very much but isn't actually a zero either.

Basically I just wanted to ask if anyone has any positive experience with my changes? I'm not asking for a praise, but just curious have people that downloaded it actually used it or found that it sucks and given it up very soon?)

I like it, I've been noticing a weird bug that started happening lately though  when I open chibipaint I can draw on the main canvas layer but when I make a new one above it doesn't draw. I don't know if its my computer or what. (It didn't use to do this before so I don't know what changed. ._.)

#16 14 Mar, 2014 9:11 pm

MeezArt wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion!

GinOkami wrote:

I like it, I've been noticing a weird bug that started happening lately though  when I open chibipaint I can draw on the main canvas layer but when I make a new one above it doesn't draw. I don't know if its my computer or what. (It didn't use to do this before so I don't know what changed. ._.)

Thank you. Maybe it's just because "Lock Alpha" is checked and since I made it saving on exit in offline version you can't draw on new (transparent) layers without unchecking it. Can you check is this the case?

#17 16 Mar, 2014 11:20 am

Predelnik wrote:

Ok I've done it, now if you create new .chi file with modified offline ChibiPaint (or import), this file will not be understood by RMD.

But files created by RMD can still be opened by Modified ChibiPaint and will be saved in format understandable for RMD but while working on them pasting images from outside is disabled.

PS I've also added saving of active layer number to new format just cuz I think it's useful)

Can we still import drawings from SAI?
(really wanted to do this)

Because RMD closes JAVA with every stroke I make..

#18 16 Mar, 2014 2:15 pm

Bertholdt wrote:

Predelnik wrote:

Can we still import drawings from SAI?
(really wanted to do this)

Because RMD closes JAVA with every stroke I make..

If you read our previous discussion here, it's considered illegal by the site rules thus I made it impossible. And also even though with a basic programming knowledge and a bit of the effort you may be able to do it, I strongly advice you against it.

You have several ways to overcome it: you may post your pictures on different website where the tool you've used doesn't matter (like DeviantArt), you may figure out why Java tool isn't working for you (I may help but it's better to do in private or at least in separate thread), you may use other tool (flash or canvasDraw). You're very good artist, and I wish you good luck))

#19 21 Mar, 2014 7:50 pm

Predelnik wrote:

MeezArt wrote:

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion!

GinOkami wrote:

Thank you. Maybe it's just because "Lock Alpha" is checked and since I made it saving on exit in offline version you can't draw on new (transparent) layers without unchecking it. Can you check is this the case?

Ah that was the issue yikes Thanks

#20 01 Apr, 2014 3:28 am

OMG there lot of features i always wanted just like that magic wand , blur( mine wasnt wokring), fill tool with clean edges I very appreciate this  I love select tool too bad my tabletpen is acting all weird to the point its barely working and  i too is broken have no money to replace it U_U though i cant upload them on online version  i still love it your an awsome IT

Last edited by rathian619 (01 Apr, 2014 4:03 am)

Board footer

162 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.