Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#21 10 Jul, 2014 7:18 pm

Re: What can we do to liven the site up like it used to be?

I had trouble with Java too until I added it to an exceptions list for Java.  Every time Java updates, I imagine I will have to do this

If you can't beat 'em, send 'em to their room

#22 10 Jul, 2014 10:04 pm

I've been on here on and off since 2008, which is when I made my first account. The community definitely used to be more lively back then. I had made so many friends, but slowly they all stopped coming on and it made me stop as well.

Through this website I significantly improved my art skills, but once I stopped coming on I began to not really draw digitally anymore. I never really enjoyed drawing on Photoshop or SAI. I know those tools are what professionals use, but the RMD drawing tools is what I developed my skills on and I could never get comfortable with anything else. So, I decided recently to join here again because I really miss drawing.

I don't know if many old members would come back, but I think getting the word out to attract new members would really liven the community up. This website is great for people who are just starting out with art or who just enjoy it as a hobby. I always find dA and other websites to be overwhelming. Since there's so many great artists on there, new members usually never get any recognition. That's why I love this website. The community is so small that you'll get rates and comments on almost any drawing you post.

I like everyone's suggestions. Making some tweaks and updates to this website while trying to get new members to join could definitely make it as active as it once was. smile

#23 13 Jul, 2014 11:11 pm

This could actually be a lively site again, if there were more active members. I think there should be some ads, preferably on other art sites like Deviant Art.

I've noticed that when I enter Drawchat, is that the screen isn't big enough. If It were like iscribble, then it could sort of be fullscreen ( with the tab bar of course ) and I think that would make it easier to draw with.

The members that we have should try and advertise some more, I don't see much talking and getting to know each other in Drawchat, which is what I see kinda sad. I remember ( on my older account ) that people used to work together to make art, or simply even doodle or RP together. They did art trades and collaborations through java and flash too, and I kinda miss it.

I think this would be a lot of work but...instead of having separate sites for animations and drawings, what if we just added the animation tool and category to this site? I mean, the other never really was active much so I don't think it'd be too terrible of a loss. Or connect the two sites more.

I think mentioned earlier was the message system, i'm not sure if they were implying this or not, but instant chat would be nice ( if we had more members gah! )
A lot of the things I posted ( Especially about RMD and RMA mixing ) is kinda useless, I was just thinking about things to update in the future.

No doubt, endings are hard. But then again, nothing ever really ends, does it?

#24 14 Jul, 2014 8:43 am

I think this site should encourage practice more, and make it nothing of a hassle. A sketchbook gallery would be nice for that, and the tools to draw should be such that you can draw or sketch without concern about laggy strokes, or the lines not looking anti-aliased enough, etc.

And I daresay, the community should change their focus from "finished paintings" to practice sketches, because that's the quickest way to improve.

For what it's worth, I'd be on this site way more if it were a bit more like ConceptArt. I feel like all the work I do here is pointless. It feels like this is someplace I should come when I've gotten as good as I'll ever get. It doesn't feel like a good environment to improve.

EDIT:
And I forgot, one thing that I can't stand about drawing on Chibipaint or especially flash, is the lack of hotkeys. Shortcut keys are essential to faster workflow, and they should not only exist, but they should be configurable.

Last edited by Forte (14 Jul, 2014 8:47 am)

#25 14 Jul, 2014 10:08 am

I'm sure we can bring more people to this site if we select a group of people trusted with going to other drawing related websites and asking them to join here and telling them about all the features RMD has that the website they're using doesn't. You can tell people who are interested in drawing at your school since most people here are teenagers.

#26 14 Jul, 2014 8:18 pm

That would be a good idea, but let's compare RMD to dA, or CA.

Does RMD give you a better experience than dA? dA has a bigger community, and is more committed to "artwork" and "getting noticed".

Compare RMD to Conceptart, CA has a better community mindset with all the critiques and the sketchbooks, and the high-level information being conveyed across to people there.

There's nothing RMD does particularly better than either of those two sites.
This place doesn't feel professional enough. Professional artists have no reason to come here, because they won't gain any exposure on the internet with various companies, and they won't learn anything because everyone here comments nicely, and praises without critique. dA or CA are simply more supportive.

Last edited by Forte (14 Jul, 2014 8:20 pm)

#27 15 Jul, 2014 2:45 am

So many great ideas on this forum! big_smile

#28 18 Jul, 2014 5:00 am

Same feeling as far as I'd hope not to see the day RMD fades away

Personal life I think factors heavily: there was more leisure time when I started on this site when I was in middleschool/highschool as opposed to now (college and work)>>>> MUCH less time to draw and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one

When I do jump on from time to time I do get nostalgic looking back and remembering other users and old drawings on here.  Especially because I'd draw on here long before I took up an art class of any sort and RMD was part of what sparked my interest having seen the variety of styles and techniques.

In addition to less/limited leisure time, I'd have to say the other issue is buggy drawing applications. I cannot begin to tell you how many times I've lost drawings on here- this combined with less leisure time makes it difficult to keep producing drawings for critiques and such>>>slowing that crucial growth that is a part of the art process is all about

big_smile Possible suggestions:
-Apps on mobile and tablets to generally at least get RMD out there (and include features in the description of additional features that one can find on the actual site)
-Simplify, don't complicate? While I do feel I can find something to really like or an advantage to each drawing application out, I feel that it kind of started more frequented buggy issues and more time to put into it with there being more tools to master 
-The disappearing act of rate system?!? While I like that the critique system can still go with a drawing, the ratings made this site stand out more Include a new rate/rank system

^-^~Fate determines who enters your life
Your actions decide who stays~^-^
O.o You are what you are
(and) You are what you eat o.O

#29 18 Jul, 2014 5:08 am

Forte wrote:

I think this site should encourage practice more, and make it nothing of a hassle. A sketchbook gallery would be nice for that, and the tools to draw should be such that you can draw or sketch without concern about laggy strokes, or the lines not looking anti-aliased enough, etc.

And I daresay, the community should change their focus from "finished paintings" to practice sketches, because that's the quickest way to improve.

For what it's worth, I'd be on this site way more if it were a bit more like ConceptArt. I feel like all the work I do here is pointless. It feels like this is someplace I should come when I've gotten as good as I'll ever get. It doesn't feel like a good environment to improve.

EDIT:
And I forgot, one thing that I can't stand about drawing on Chibipaint or especially flash, is the lack of hotkeys. Shortcut keys are essential to faster workflow, and they should not only exist, but they should be configurable.

Kind of how DA has "Scraps"?

That would be an interesting addition on here to have just sketches, WIP, and doodles to grow on with feedback-

I agree that there has been a change in environment over the years

Well people used to critique more I believe because of the old rate system and that used to help artists on here grow I noticed since they'd take note of what others would say

O.o You are what you are

#30 20 Jul, 2014 6:22 am

anim3luver wrote:

I like everyone's suggestions. Fixing the glitches, making it less confusing, reunions, more advertising/spreading the word, updating DrawChat/the tools and making it more mobile all sound like excellent ideas. I especially think there should be notifications when someone posts a comment on your profile/replies to your comment on a/your drawing/or mentions your name etc. As well as getting rid of the 30 second rule to commenting and sending private messages.

Agreed. Also, owner should learn to market this website properly or at least hire/talk to some with expertise on it

I was about to suggest a beta volunteering system but I can't recall anything that would need it. Unless there is something members can do to help the website run easily.

#31 20 Jul, 2014 11:45 pm

MaffyTaffy wrote:

anim3luver wrote:

I like everyone's suggestions. Fixing the glitches, making it less confusing, reunions, more advertising/spreading the word, updating DrawChat/the tools and making it more mobile all sound like excellent ideas. I especially think there should be notifications when someone posts a comment on your profile/replies to your comment on a/your drawing/or mentions your name etc. As well as getting rid of the 30 second rule to commenting and sending private messages.

Agreed. Also, owner should learn to market this website properly or at least hire/talk to some with expertise on it

I was about to suggest a beta volunteering system but I can't recall anything that would need it. Unless there is something members can do to help the website run easily.

Given that this isn't really much of a for profit site (like how DA has membership subscriptions and option to sell art pieces on canvas, etc) I don't see there being much of a marketing launch as far as ads and the like

So perhaps there is some sort of out of the box way to fix the "addressing an audience" issue

I'm once again all for the mobile movement- even if its just to get the word out that rmd exists

It looks like those are the key things right now: What can RMD do to retain its current users and What can RMD do to attract new users

I believe RMD can bounce right back and thrive again if it can address the majority of the feedbacks and criticisms in this thread

O.o You are what you are

#32 28 Jul, 2014 3:21 pm

purplechick9215 wrote:

-The disappearing act of rate system?!? While I like that the critique system can still go with a drawing, the ratings made this site stand out more Include a new rate/rank system

Why did it make place for such a simplistic braindead button?

The like button is the same as the 5/5.
So why put effort into making it?
It's the same for the 5/5-raters.

But completely different to people who gave other ratings besides 5/5.

They took it away and lost something instead of gaining something.
It's just so uuuuuurgh

#33 28 Jul, 2014 10:18 pm

red*rogue wrote:

purplechick9215 wrote:

Why did it make place for such a simplistic braindead button?

The like button is the same as the 5/5.
So why put effort into making it?
It's the same for the 5/5-raters.

But completely different to people who gave other ratings besides 5/5.

They took it away and lost something instead of gaining something.
It's just so uuuuuurgh

It had me wondering if they took it away as a result of how bummed users would get over "low" rates- which is a tad ridiculous given that the rate system kinda put into place that feedback of whether an artist should try to improve and then the comments section proved as means to explain why or what could be improved

I've been on this site since 2007 and have seen so many changes- loss of rate system altogether is the most notable especially having seen it altered a few times (I recall when it was a ten scale system, then jumped to five, and now its jumped out the window)

I would want to see it brought back in some form or another

O.o You are what you are

#34 01 Aug, 2014 6:51 am

i want a new tool for flash , additional 25% ink , new drawing applet ,autosave java*even though my java stop working",or monthly drawing challenge winner will be artist of the month and get to choose the next challenge then his/her drawings will be featured on hot drawings

Last edited by rathian619 (01 Aug, 2014 6:54 am)

#35 03 Aug, 2014 12:03 am

rathian619 wrote:

i want a new tool for flash , additional 25% ink , new drawing applet ,autosave java*even though my java stop working",or monthly drawing challenge winner will be artist of the month and get to choose the next challenge then his/her drawings will be featured on hot drawings

I like the idea of letting the winners choose the next monthly theme

and then for flash it seems like it could always use more ink- I've noticed over the years that the playbacks of it seem to speed up

O.o You are what you are

#36 11 Aug, 2014 12:46 pm

Forte wrote:

That would be a good idea, but let's compare RMD to dA, or CA.

Does RMD give you a better experience than dA? dA has a bigger community, and is more committed to "artwork" and "getting noticed".

Compare RMD to Conceptart, CA has a better community mindset with all the critiques and the sketchbooks, and the high-level information being conveyed across to people there.

There's nothing RMD does particularly better than either of those two sites.
This place doesn't feel professional enough. Professional artists have no reason to come here, because they won't gain any exposure on the internet with various companies, and they won't learn anything because everyone here comments nicely, and praises without critique. dA or CA are simply more supportive.

I think RMD's focus has always been more towards encouraging  beginner's enthusiasm, and (to me, at least) this seems like this has always been the site's biggest draw. dA is enormous and intimidating, and the only way an enthusiastic beginner is going to get any support or attention is if they spend a lot of time networking. It's easy to get lost in the fray. Conceptart looks pretty amazing, but if a beginner needs to fall in love with drawing, the first and most  important thing for them to do is draw and draw without comparing themselves too much to masters. Sites like this encourage beginners to noodle around and have fun, and not worry too much about the finished product, and this can the best thing for beginners.

Don't get me wrong: Critiques and tips from more experienced artists are super important and completely necessary for your continuing development, as is focused study. RMA would suck if you were using it as your only source of artistic development, and basically every other oekaki website I've been a member of has provided much better c+c than  you get here. 

It's just that sometimes you need to noodle. Sometimes you need to experiment and stuff around and not worry too much about impressing other people. Sometimes you just need  want to have fun, or to knock off a bunch of quick vignettes in order to practice one particular technique, That's what I like about RMA , and that's why I come here.  I tend to be perfectionistic with my pencil-and-paper art, but there's something oddly liberating about creating  a picture in less than 90 minutes using only a laptop tracking pad. Sometimes the pictures work; often they don't; but it's always good to rack up a little bit more experience without the anxiety that comes with having to please judgmental strangers and/or meet my own perfectionist standards. Of course, my work will be flawed (and sometimes the site gremlins will eat my pictures before I can post them). But that's ok, too. The  RMA community isn't about humiliating are tearing down anybody's work, and that's exactly what you need sometimes.

For example: This week, I've been doodling little scenes of  cities and such  at night time, in order to experiment   with atmospheric perspective and lighting. The pictures aren't that good:  I've totally neglected to use the other perspective techniques and modelling  ( among other things), there are all sorts of little errors and -even if I had used a better tool than my tracking pad- they were never intended to be anything more than crude, quick sketches. It's been a helpful activity for my artistic development, but the finished pictures aren't masterpieces, and I'd feel super-awkward if a group of highly skilled professional artists and such looked at them and assumed it was all I can do. I mean, they'd probably be partially right, since I can draw well but somewhat suck at painting, but it would still be a very frustrating and dispiriting experience. It's nice to be able to play around without having to worry about the community shunning me for producing a bad picture or three, or failing to  produce a certain standard of work.

Basically: I love RMD, because it's friendly and won't shun me for occasional, or sometimes prolonged, bouts of ineptitude. I also think it's important that beginners have a place to

As for general RMD thingies: I, too, miss drawchat, although my internet connection is too bad to use it. Optical and photorealistic painting and is boring as all hell if you don't have a big bunch of people to help you finish it quickly, and it's always fun to talk to other people.

My biggest RMD gripe: the classic RMD  and Canvas Draw seem to both sadly lack a watercolor brush. Watercolor brushes are awesome. Sorry, RMD webmasters, but I remember ShiPainter and Chibipaint being a lot more fun.

I also think the rating system was fun and should be brought back. It was what defined the site as different to other oekaki websites, and it made using the site feel like a game. I used to come here, and draw and draw and draw, just because of how Pavlovian the ratings (and all the comments, natch) were. And anyhow:  why not just give users the option of disabling the 5/5 system, if they feel like they can't handle it?

#37 13 Aug, 2014 4:52 am

nomee wrote:

I think RMD's focus has always been more towards encouraging  beginner's enthusiasm, and (to me, at least) this seems like this has always been the site's biggest draw. dA is enormous and intimidating, and the only way an enthusiastic beginner is going to get any support or attention is if they spend a lot of time networking. It's easy to get lost in the fray. Conceptart looks pretty amazing, but if a beginner needs to fall in love with drawing, the first and most  important thing for them to do is draw and draw without comparing themselves too much to masters. Sites like this encourage beginners to noodle around and have fun, and not worry too much about the finished product, and this can the best thing for beginners.

It's just that sometimes you need to noodle. Sometimes you need to experiment and stuff around and not worry too much about impressing other people. Sometimes you just need  want to have fun, or to knock off a bunch of quick vignettes in order to practice one particular technique, That's what I like about RMA , and that's why I come here.  I tend to be perfectionistic with my pencil-and-paper art, but there's something oddly liberating about creating  a picture in less than 90 minutes using only a laptop tracking pad. Sometimes the pictures work; often they don't; but it's always good to rack up a little bit more experience without the anxiety that comes with having to please judgmental strangers and/or meet my own perfectionist standards. Of course, my work will be flawed (and sometimes the site gremlins will eat my pictures before I can post them). But that's ok, too. The  RMA community isn't about humiliating are tearing down anybody's work, and that's exactly what you need sometimes.

For example: This week, I've been doodling little scenes of  cities and such  at night time, in order to experiment   with atmospheric perspective and lighting. The pictures aren't that good:  I've totally neglected to use the other perspective techniques and modelling  ( among other things), there are all sorts of little errors and -even if I had used a better tool than my tracking pad- they were never intended to be anything more than crude, quick sketches. It's been a helpful activity for my artistic development, but the finished pictures aren't masterpieces, and I'd feel super-awkward if a group of highly skilled professional artists and such looked at them and assumed it was all I can do. I mean, they'd probably be partially right, since I can draw well but somewhat suck at painting, but it would still be a very frustrating and dispiriting experience. It's nice to be able to play around without having to worry about the community shunning me for producing a bad picture or three, or failing to  produce a certain standard of work.

Basically: I love RMD, because it's friendly and won't shun me for occasional, or sometimes prolonged, bouts of ineptitude. I also think it's important that beginners have a place to

I also think the rating system was fun and should be brought back. It was what defined the site as different to other oekaki websites, and it made using the site feel like a game. I used to come here, and draw and draw and draw, just because of how Pavlovian the ratings (and all the comments, natch) were. And anyhow:  why not just give users the option of disabling the 5/5 system, if they feel like they can't handle it?

This user said a lot but these points stick out most: the rating system and the beginner friendly environment

RMD was the first drawing community I joined - and I'm pretty sure if I would've joined DA prior to RMD that I wouldn't have had the same passion to draw mainly because of the reason the user above explained as to how it was such a beginner friendly environment where artist get to experiment and learn from floops

O.o You are what you are

#38 13 Aug, 2014 10:14 am

the way to Do something is to ACT, not talk only smile so i m 100% positive that If more than one person wants, can change things around , so if someone wants to just draw and be quiet it s absolutely great , but who wants things to happen should start make them happen . Posting ideas is nothing if you won t start doing what you think smile
for example i draw here since 2012 almost 2013 , first thing that impressed me was how many people were so nice  and i liked it , i was nice too cause that felt good , not to have more comments or likes , and i still feel good here , if i want to draw on dc i just go there and poeple will come , the only thing that is REALLY missing is an app , the rest can be done by users smile live is when people live..not when they just sit around
just my thought on things smile sorry for the mistakes and all , have fun !

Last edited by vis_in_vis (13 Aug, 2014 10:16 am)

#39 05 Sep, 2014 11:24 pm

I tried getting my friends to go on here, but they didn't seem fond of the website..

#40 25 Sep, 2014 12:03 am

I guess it just goes together. Less people are coming because there's less publicity because less people are coming; an unending cycle. I now use DeviantART just because it's easier to upload and I feel it's a better place to grow now than here. Like most people said, RMD was my starting place as well, the place where I first used a mouse to draw a picture, and it was great. But these tools are now hindering everybody's art, being especially restricting in the fact that you may only use those tools. It's sad to see this site dying out, but I don't think I've posted anything in three years maybe? Tumblr is also a growing community for artists to display their work, and because those sites are better known, more people will flock to them. Yes, some people don't know what DeviantART is if you ask just anyone, but EVERY digital artist has heard of that site whereas RateMyDrawings.... eh not so much.
I'll probably post something soon, however it won't be as high of a quality as it is on other art sites simply because I can no longer use my own applications, but rather those of the website.
Good luck saving this site guys.
I'll probably write again.

"The moment you think you understand a great work of art, it's dead for you."
                                                              -Oscar Wilde

Board footer

134 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.