This tutorial is going to teach you how to draw an headshot. It includes sketching, lineart and also colouring techiniques. I dont suggest this tutorial for beginners of Photoshop.
Just before we get started..
I will be using Photoshop 7 with Wacom tablet Bamboo.
If you have any another paint tool, thats okay too. Without a tablet it will be a little tricky.
In this tutorial ill be mainly using only two tools;
1. The Hard round tool
2. The Airbrush hard round pen
These are the usual tools i use.
Create a new layer and name it sketch. Make sure the bg layer isnt locked.
Then pick any dark colour and using the 3px sized Hard round brush to make your sketch.
It doesnt have to be very complicated, just make sure you`ll get the idea where everything goes.
Keep on drawing on your sketch layer until you`re satisfied.
Then make a new layer called lineart.
TIP: When drawing, try to measure the bodyparts so they`re all on right proportion :D
Then pick your lineart layer.
Take the 2px hard round brush with an very dark almost black colour and start doing the lineart.
Try to make it very very detailed and gently. The thinner the line, the better.
TIP: To get an very clean look, try to make your strokes fast and short so they look very nice and CLEAN ;D
Then its time for the colouring! xD
BUT before we will go to the actual colouring, this step is very important. The light source. Always have a light source! Otherwise you`ll might get confused where to shade or highlight.
The coloured parts are where the shodows should go. And this time, i chose that the light comes from upper right.
Even tough the lines are NOT supposed to draw on the drawing, try to have them in your mind before you start colouring.
The technique i color the face is basically the same when colouring other parts of the body, clothing or other `soft` objects.
Make a new layer and call it skin. Now we`ll be using the Airbrush pen.
1. Pick an light colour and paint the whole face with this colour. This is the base for the face.
2. Pick a bit darker colour and slop it all over the face. (Remember the light source) When picking colours for the skin, go for bright and reddish tones.
3. Slop in even more dark colours and maybe in this early step you might blur and smudge a bit. Dont be shy to use dark tones!
4. Add final shadows and finish the face with highlights to the lips, nosebridge and below the eyes and chin.
5. Last sub step, color adjustments. With photoshop, go Image->Adjustments->Curves and Image->Adjustments->Selective Color or Hue/Saturation if nessacery.
Then dont forget to sharpen! Filter->Sharpen->Sharpen. Two times if you want :D
Then tada! Face done!
TIP: Trouble picking colours? Try to get an reference. It really helps alot!
The basic idea for colouring the hair is basically the same with skin, accept with few exeptions. Colouring the hair can also be used for clothing or sharp object colouring.
Once more, pick the Hard round tool.
1. Use the gradient tool to make the base colour for the hair. Pick an very neutral and very dark color for this.
2. Clean it up!
3. Slop some dark and light colours in, like you did the skin.
4. Adjust and fix.
5.Then voila! You got the hair done :D
TIP: Try to make fast strokes that come from roots of the hair! :D Dont forget the eyebrows!
Eyes are simple. Alot people do very complicated eye textures, but i just like to keep it nice and simple.
You can use any brush you want. I`ll be using the Hard rounded.
Then do the same old :D
1. Slop the base colour. Use a bright colour.
2. Shade with dark and light tones like shown in the picture.
3. The iris. I usually just make it black :P Then adjust the colours
4. Just a little highlight.
And you`re done! This is really easy when you get it.
TIP: I always adjust the eyes. It gives an very shiny and dynamic effect following with the highlights. You know, eyes are important.
Same old technique with clothing and BG.
Then you`re done! :D
I hope you all learned something from this tutorial ^^ Because i really enjoyed making this!
I used multiple references for this drawing and so should you xD
Then last but not least, tell me what you think ^^ Id love to have feedback, profile comment or message me :D