Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Check out our new RMD Facebook Group.
Forum Search

#1 15 Feb, 2013 2:29 pm

When rating drawings

Hi smile
I'm new to RMD, so I could be wrong about this, but I've noticed that most people are more or less only giving 5/5 ratings, or at least thats the only thing people who comment dare to admit.
It's not that I want to complain about getting 5/5 ratings, but if people rarely give anything else, it kind of defies the whole purpose of rating. And then it's not a matter of getting highest rates in order to get among "Top rated", but a matter of getting most rates. Don't misunderstand me, more than most of the top rated are outstanding drawings, but a few of them got me thinking how on earth they got there. So I'm assuming that those drawings might be a matter of spamming "plz rate my drawing" on other websites.

Would it be offending if anyone commented "Nice drawing 3/5" on one of your drawings?
Do you rate other than just the amazing drawings? Have I completely misunderstood it?

#2 15 Feb, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: When rating drawings

It's not offending to rate 3/5 hearts and leave a comment.
But I fear the butthurt.

"YOU CAN BARELY DRAW REALISM SO YOU SHOULDN'T TALK/RATE AS IF YOU CAN! YOUR DRAWINGS LOOK LIKE ****! YOU SMELLY WILLY!"
and behind the scenes, cry for days on end.

If the reasoning made sense and if the rating is fair then you honestly have no reason to go raging. It's arrogant to think you always deserve 5 hearts. It's ignorance to cover your ears for criticism/feedback.

Feedback, criticism, 3/5, 4/5 aren't offensive things.

I rate 3 and 4 hearts sometimes. But I rarely do that in combination with a comment. And people care more about the amount of ratings.

#3 15 Feb, 2013 11:06 pm

Uhm.. I guess you're right.. I guess its impossible to find a drawing site, where people can actually take constructive criticism without getting offended about it..

Personally, I would find it more offending if I got a lot of 5/5 on a drawing I obviously didn't put a lot of effort in, because then I can't guarantee how genuine the other 5/5 are, and if my drawings are even as good as people pretend.
That's why rating seemed like a good idea, to give yourself an idea of where you are when it comes to skill... not how good you are at getting people to rate.

#4 16 Feb, 2013 8:25 am

Raters/commenters don't owe the artist anything, be thankful the user has taken time to look/comment and rate your drawing.

Hakuna matata.

#5 16 Feb, 2013 12:47 pm

Of course I don't mind when people give me compliments.
But I'd like to have criticism too. Yesterday I got my first criticism in two years.

two years

Maybe there should be a list of people who want good feedback.
And by clicking on one of those names they will be linked to that artist's profile and criticize/feedback one of their recently made artworks.

And if a critic had done bad criticism*, they will be confronted with it by the person maintaining the entire list, who is on the sidelines and will not get emotionally involved to minimize the risk of a huge internet-fight.

Also the person listing their name must be able to take criticism and report the 'bad criticism' with a valid reason or else they will be removed from the list for a still to be decided period of time.

Just an idea I'm ... throwing.. out there...
>_>
hope it made sense  XD

*as in: bashing

#6 16 Feb, 2013 2:01 pm

sweetlove15 wrote:

Raters/commenters don't owe the artist anything, be thankful the user has taken time to look/comment and rate your drawing.

Owe? It's not about owing anyone anything, but whats the point of getting rates, if most of them aren't even genuine? Why even have a rating system, if people don't use it as its meant to?

I didn't know that browsing peoples drawings was so tiring and hard to do, that its such a big thing that everyone should even be thankful for fake rates/comments.
Does the idea of a rate/comment weigh more to you, than whether or not the person behind it actually meant it?

It reminds me about the "follow me" trend at twitter/instagram/tumblr and what not.. People care more about the amount of followers, not giving a damn about genuine likes and followers. People don't care if their dash is filled with useless crap, and they don't care if their followers even give a damn about their crap. As long as you have a lot of followers, nothing else matters.
I don't know if the same trend is going on here on RMD, but it seems like it, when you insinuate that the rate/comment itself is more valuable, than the idea of getting something genuine.
That's fake acknowledgement if you ask me, and I'm not going to be thankful for that.

#7 16 Feb, 2013 3:08 pm

So, I just went through all the recent drawings (first page) and gave everyone a honest and genuine rating.
Of course, it would've been a lot easier just to ignore all the not-so-skilful drawings, and only rated all the good ones that got my attention, but personally I would much rather get a lot of honest ratings, even if they were all low, rather than being ignored because no one could bring themselves to rate honestly.

Good drawings will always get more ratings, thats a fact since they will always draw more attention. But when it comes to beginner drawings, no one dares to rate. If they are lucky to get some rates, its not more than 2-3, for what I've seen. If people were able to give honest rates, this wouldn't be happening.

Rating only the good drawings is the easy way of rating. Why be thankful for that?
I would much rather be thankful for people putting just a slight more effort in rating, and actually rating more people, more honestly, even if it meant that I would get lower ratings.

#8 16 Feb, 2013 3:28 pm

Giesji wrote:

Owe? It's not about owing anyone anything, but whats the point of getting rates, if most of them aren't even genuine? Why even have a rating system, if people don't use it as its meant to?

Every user on this site has put their drawings out there to be commented and/or rated. It's not up to you to decide what other users will rate it or say about it. Everyone's standards are different and everyone's interpretation of the rating system will be different, so someone giving you a '5/5', doesn't necessarily mean that it is 'fake'. You cannot possibly know with complete certainty if a persons comment/rate is or isn't genuine. Unless you're a mind reader, which I'm sure you're not.

Besides, how is somebody rating you 3 or 4 instead of 5 honestly going to help you anyways? It doesn't. It's just a number.

There has been discussions in the past on here about changing the rating system to a 'like or dislike'. That was a while ago, so it is unlikely to happen. If I can remember correctly, one of the main problems with that idea is that this site is called 'ratemydrawings'.

Giesji wrote:

I didn't know that browsing peoples drawings was so tiring and hard to do, that its such a big thing that everyone should even be thankful for fake rates/comments. Does the idea of a rate/comment weigh more to you, than whether or not the person behind it actually meant it?

I don't take it that seriously. As I said before, nobody can know for sure if a comment is genuine or not. Even if the comment isn't genuine, what does it really matter? It's just a comment. If you enjoyed drawing what you drew, what do any of the comments really matter? I'm not saying that they don't, we all enjoy a compliment or two, and if you don't you're just kidding yourself.

Giesji wrote:

It reminds me about the "follow me" trend at twitter/instagram/tumblr and what not.. People care more about the amount of followers, not giving a damn about genuine likes and followers. People don't care if their dash is filled with useless crap, and they don't care if their followers even give a damn about their crap. As long as you have a lot of followers, nothing else matters.
I don't know if the same trend is going on here on RMD, but it seems like it, when you insinuate that the rate/comment itself is more valuable, than the idea of getting something genuine.

I don't believe I insinuated that. If I did, I didn't mean to. I just don't have expectations on what I expect people to comment me. I just think people can comment what they want. I'm sure everyone prefers to read a long and detailed comment about the ins and outs of your drawing over something short like 'cool 5/5'. But really, this is just a drawing site. I do this as a hobby. If I want to learn, I'm capable of seeking out the advice myself.

Anyways, it's just my opinion. I personally, try to keep my comments interesting, and try to give tips here and there on the limited knowledge that I have. But I do see this site as just for fun, I don't think many of us on this site are professional artists who feel that they have the knowledge and skills to really help someone. Users will learn skills on their own with dedication passion and practice.

If this is something that truly bothers you, you're probably better off checking out other online drawing sites, which are more suited to what you're looking for.

Last edited by sweetlove15 (16 Feb, 2013 3:44 pm)

Hakuna matata.

#9 16 Feb, 2013 3:40 pm

Giesji wrote:

So, I just went through all the recent drawings (first page) and gave everyone a honest and genuine rating.
Of course, it would've been a lot easier just to ignore all the not-so-skilful drawings, and only rated all the good ones that got my attention, but personally I would much rather get a lot of honest ratings, even if they were all low, rather than being ignored because no one could bring themselves to rate honestly.

I just checked the 'community feed' after reading this comment, to see if you had commented any of these drawings which you rated as what you see as 'honestly'. I only noticed you commented one drawing, which said "Yay for Grumpy cat :P I drew her too". You rated the drawing 3 hearts, but did not tell the artist that you did rate it 3/5, nor did you give any advice or 'critique' as to why.
So how is a comment like "Yay for Grumpy cat :P I drew her too" and 3 hearts going to help that user? It doesn't at all. If anything, it'll probably confuse and/or demotivate the user.

Last edited by sweetlove15 (16 Feb, 2013 3:40 pm)

Hakuna matata.

#10 16 Feb, 2013 5:27 pm

i believe in honest rating and commenting, people shouldn't get upset for receiving honest criticism, they should use that criticism to better their skill and hone in their craft so they can work harder than they ever have...

if you don't care and just give 5/5 on everything, people can tell. but if you ask for honest criticism....people will be more likely to give it to you. don't ever be ashamed to ask for honesty the more you ask the more people will give.

The Art of Chaos = The Chaos of Art

#11 17 Feb, 2013 2:43 am

sweetlove15 wrote:

Every user on this site has put their drawings out there to be commented and/or rated. It's not up to you to decide what other users will rate it or say about it. Everyone's standards are different and everyone's interpretation of the rating system will be different, so someone giving you a '5/5', doesn't necessarily mean that it is 'fake'. You cannot possibly know with complete certainty if a persons comment/rate is or isn't genuine. Unless you're a mind reader, which I'm sure you're not.

Besides, how is somebody rating you 3 or 4 instead of 5 honestly going to help you anyways? It doesn't. It's just a number.

There has been discussions in the past on here about changing the rating system to a 'like or dislike'. That was a while ago, so it is unlikely to happen. If I can remember correctly, one of the main problems with that idea is that this site is called 'ratemydrawings'.

Of course I can't know for certainty, but if 90% of the comments you get are "great 5/5" it really has to be one extremely well done drawing, if not one of them were an automated rating/comment.

I see that you are a very talented artist yourself, I figure that most (if not all) of your 5/5 and compliments are in fact genuine, so I'm guessing you can't relate to this. I like honest ratings, even if they're bad, and doesn't come with any comment (If people are afraid to admit they gave a low rating, I won't blame them, because there is a lot of people who gets very offended by it).
I've been very insecure and confused about my own art lately. When I was a kid, and drew ordinary things, like cute kittens and foxes, most people had something nice to say, and thats great. I know I got more skill within the years, but my ideas have changed. People stop to comment on my drawings, and I don't know why. Do they suck? Does my ideas suck? Am I talentless? I have no idea, because people would rather ignore the drawings, than say something true and honest.
It matters a lot to me.
The site is called "Rate My Drawings" because people can rate it. The point of having a rating system has always been to rate things, good or bad, so that with a certain amounts of ratings, people will get an overall view on what people think about it.
This is not the case for RMD. If the rating system should work, everyone should rate drawings honest, no matter if its 1 or  5 hearts. The rating system is completely useless if people only rate the good stuff. I don't approve of a like/dislike system, but it might as well just be a voting system that only gives you positive voting option. That is how things work at RMD right now. Its more of a voting system than a rating system.

sweetlove15 wrote:

I don't take it that seriously. As I said before, nobody can know for sure if a comment is genuine or not. Even if the comment isn't genuine, what does it really matter? It's just a comment. If you enjoyed drawing what you drew, what do any of the comments really matter? I'm not saying that they don't, we all enjoy a compliment or two, and if you don't you're just kidding yourself.

Actually, I wanted to discuss the rating system, not so much commenting :)
No, I don't mind compliments. Of course I love them. But when I say "comments" I'm entirely referring to the "I gave you 5/5" comments.
I'm still pretty new, but so far I haven't seen anyone say "Nice drawing 3/5", probably because people would freak out.

sweetlove15 wrote:

I don't believe I insinuated that. If I did, I didn't mean to. I just don't have expectations on what I expect people to comment me. I just think people can comment what they want. I'm sure everyone prefers to read a long and detailed comment about the ins and outs of your drawing over something short like 'cool 5/5'. But really, this is just a drawing site. I do this as a hobby. If I want to learn, I'm capable of seeking out the advice myself.

You didn't insinuate that, it's just what popped into my head, when I got the feeling that people care more about getting lots of 5/5, not caring about peoples content.
As mentioned, I'm not talking about long and detailed comments, I'm only talking about how genuine the ratings really are, and why people don't seem to care to rate anything that's not worth a 5/5.

About the grumpy cat comment.. No, I didn't give any constructive crit, and I probably should. But my experience when it comes to drawings sites, is that people get very easily offended by that. I didn't want to give a 5/5 just to be nice, if thats not truly the rating I wanted to give. But I didn't want to seem knowingly by telling why the drawing wasn't worth more than 3, because I wasn't sure if the person was even interested in that. I'm not always interested in crit either, sometimes you just draw for the sake of it, and getting a rate, high or low, is much much much more informal than a long comment, that wasn't even asked for.
I know it sounds confusing (And maybe it's just me..) but I don't think a honest rating and a long constructive criticism is the same thing. Those two things can work separately, but since this is a rating site, the ratings will always be here, but the criticism might only be here when its asked for, and thats how it should be.

Maybe its just me, and I'm the only one feeling this way, but sometimes I just want to figure out of people like my drawings or not. Not that I need any help, unless I'm stuck with a drawing that just doesn't seem right, but just to get an overall view of how things are.
Thats why I signed up on this site. But the system doesn't work, if no one dares to rate even the bad drawings.
The 5/5 ratings might all be true and genuine, but its still pointless if that's the only thing people dare to rate. Because how will you figure out if your a bad artist? How can you figure out how many of the not-given ratings were suppose to be low? It's impossible.
People are here to be rated, they are here on display to let other people judge their talent. Of course the numbers mean something! What is the point of a rating system, if no one uses it like a rating system?

#12 18 Feb, 2013 1:58 pm

I had wrote out a response the other day but my laptop overheated before I had got the chance to send it. My apologies.

I think In my last replies to you I focused too much on commenting rather than rating. While i think those two come hand in hand, I will try to focus more on ratings.

A few years back, there was this one, rather annoying user who constantly came into DrawChat and spammed the chat box with "can u plz come rate my drawin' plzzzz!???? *inserts URL link* ". Needless to say, it got rather annoying xD One day I caved in an rated all her drawings. This user was very young and probably couldn't handle criticism, so I didn't feel comfortable commenting. I did rate all of her drawings in her gallery honestly, all under 5 hearts. A few days later, I receive a message in my private messages from the owner of RMD. Basically, I got in trouble for low rating a users gallery. It made no sense to me. I'm guessing the user was upset that her drawings were low rated (she could probably tell considering she didn't have many ratings on her drawings). This was the first time I had got into trouble on this website (certainly wasn't the last, lol) I was so afraid of having my account suspended, so I begun to only rate drawings mostly 5's and a few 4's. Which I still do to this day, my approach to rating changed because of this incident. Maybe rating only the drawings you like is the easy way of rating as you would say. But I no longer feel comfortable rating drawings which I don't find as appealing. I think that's kind of natural anyways. If you like something you want to praise it, if you don't like something, you stay away from it.

Around the same time as the incident above RMD went through a long phase, of so called, 'hate rating' where users believed their drawings were being low rated on purpose by people who didn't like them or because of jealousy.There was a considerable amount of users who felt like this. So my guess is that, people now have become so afraid of being classified a 'hater' that they don't feel comfortable rating anything less than 5 hearts. From what I've seen, many users here don't like honesty. Which just leads to people being overly nice, or only paying attention to drawings which they really like.

I'm sure there are many different reasons as to why majority of users rate 5/5's. These are just my opinions and observations, I don't want to generalize everyones reasoning as the same.

Last edited by sweetlove15 (18 Feb, 2013 2:04 pm)

Hakuna matata.

#13 18 Feb, 2013 5:04 pm

Uhm... I can see how too many low ratings can be used to harass people, but it doesn't seem like the best thing for the staff to do, is to punish people for rating honestly. In fact, at every rating it says "Please rate honestly", so it seems obvious that you should do that, no matter if its low or high.

I can see how it can be a problem to figure out if a lot of low ratings is hate, or just honest ratings. I understand why people are careful about it, but I couldn't imagine that a few different kind of low ratings (1-3 hearts) on only a few drawings by a specific user could be accused of being a hate act.
I mean, it would seem like more obvious hate if it were only 1 heart on every single drawing, by only one user.
I guess RMD could make a system to prevent abuse, maybe by having a rating limit for each user (like only 4 ratings on the same user a day, or that you could only rate the same number at the same user 3 times in a row, or something).
But getting people in trouble for using the system honestly, just doesn't seem to be a very bright idea.

#14 19 Feb, 2013 11:51 pm

I rated less than 5 when I first joined and quickly got a message from the artist about how dare I rate less than five because he was a professional, and how my work stunk...soooooo...  I am also conservative in my critiques.  Some people don/'t take criticism well.  I am more than happy to critique via private message though/  Giesji, I really like your style.  Grumpy cat was FAB!

If you can't beat 'em, send 'em to their room

#15 20 Feb, 2013 2:40 am

Oh gawd.
Seriously?
He said he was "a professional"!?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-IyzoEf0-DwM/T9AU0ZY8z5I/AAAAAAAAARc/MuLf9wQjNgs/s1600/onew-s-adorable-laugh-shinee-16906136-500-370.gif

I hate arrogance,

A title doesn't make you invunerable or perfect. It's just a word.

You don't have to private message me for criticism in case you ever want to criticize my work.
You can print it in every newspaper if you feel like it :'D As long as a person (me or anybody) learns from it. That's the most important thing: learn.

#16 23 Feb, 2013 9:07 am

I don't think it would be offending at all to rate a drawing less than 5/5 but there's just some people here that take that as an offense or when you tell them what you really think about their drawing and they don't like it they get all defensive about it.
For example: yesterday I saw this drawing of a baby and I liked it, I mean I really did but I just thought his hair needed a little more work cuz it looked weird so I posted a comment saying that I really liked the drawing but the hair needed more work.  Like 10 min later, that person posted a comment on one of my drawings saying how the ir needed more work And blending n i don't know what else and I mean... I'm ok with people telling me when something need more work cuz that helps me improve. So I decided to say thx for the comment and when I went to her page, I saw the drawing of the baby and I saw that she deleted my comment and then this other person said something about the hair too and she deleted that persons comment too. And I think she even blocked me and everything so I was just like 0.0 wow... Why would she do that... I mean ths site is not just to recieve comments about how amazing your drawing is, It's also to recieve feedback on how you can improve so... I don't know to me she seemed very arrongant.. But oh we'll there's nothing we can so w/ those people:/

#17 23 Feb, 2013 10:36 am

I like leaving and recieving kind comments. There is enough in my day to day life that is critical. I hang out when I can to create for myself and comment on the art I like.
I have no desire to give negative comments or criticism and I am glad I haven't run into anyone who has here.
If I had I most likely delete them.
I never leave negative comments and I always when rating try to give 5 hearts but sometimes no matter how hard I try to aim for 5 stars and click to do so the program doesn't always let me.
Personally I only give myself low hearts on my own work. I have never figured out how to tell who gives what heart wise and I don't really care.
I am just like the place.

Last edited by JoveDagon (23 Feb, 2013 10:43 am)

"Painting is just another way of keeping a diary."~Pablo Picasso:

#18 05 Mar, 2013 11:22 pm

JoveDagon wrote:

I like leaving and recieving kind comments. There is enough in my day to day life that is critical. I hang out when I can to create for myself and comment on the art I like.
I have no desire to give negative comments or criticism and I am glad I haven't run into anyone who has here.
If I had I most likely delete them.
I never leave negative comments and I always when rating try to give 5 hearts but sometimes no matter how hard I try to aim for 5 stars and click to do so the program doesn't always let me.
Personally I only give myself low hearts on my own work. I have never figured out how to tell who gives what heart wise and I don't really care.
I am just like the place.

Why do you delete it? I mean, its okay to ignore if you didn't ask for any critique (critique doesn't necessarily have to be negative - in fact, people often only try to help and give a good tip to help you improve, not to point out imperfections) but you don't really allow people to be honest if you can't handle anything that isn't flatter.
I'm sorry, but that just sound extremely superficial to me. You don't have to react to critique if you don't want to, but deleting it just seem arrogant.

People mean well when they give critique. I don't understand why people get offended.. I'm guessing you feel that people are just there to point out flaws and make you feel bad, but that is rarely the case. No one is perfect, but denying critique is in my opinion an attempt to deny you're not perfect.

It's just not what I consider honest rating, if people are afraid to rate low (when it is appropriate, and not just to get payback or something childish).

#19 06 Mar, 2013 2:36 am

I understand that criticism gives discomfort. I think that everybody wants to hear: "good job!" by the end of the day and not have something that makes it hard or even impossible for them to move to the next day.

But stay realistic.
Criticism will always be there. You can cover your ears and run, but it won't disappear. You will always hate/fear it if you don't learn how to deal with it.
How much it affects you is in your own hands, you just need to learn the tricks to dealing with it.

1. How do you know if the person is out to hurt you?
The person could be doing it because of kindness, wanting to help you in getting better.

2. Do you think people will look down on you because you received criticism?
How do you know they look down on you? Do they say it? They could very well think nothing of the criticism. You could very well be bothered by something that isn't there. Don't fill in thoughts for others. It could be that you're miles off target.

3. Don't let it control you too much

And this is all i can think of at the moment. If you want, you can let it sink in. It helped me (:.

p.s.
What I find most interesting is to see how the artist deals with it. There are great artists out there, receiving criticism and they deal with it. Replying, discussing and/or thanking. Respecting the criticism and that earns my respect.
Hiding/deleting is a sign of disrespect so it will receive my disrespect.

#20 06 Mar, 2013 3:14 am

This thread is amusing.

Board footer

319 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.