Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Check out our new RMD Facebook Group.
Forum Search

#1 11 Aug, 2017 8:44 am

Charcoal art storage ideas...

I have 4 charcoal art at home gifted by my boyfriend (he is a good artist). Recently, I have noticed finger marks and tiny smudges on the artwork. I think keeping it at home may ruin it. So I plan to move it to the self-storage space in Toronto. What preparation should I take prior to the storage? Also, I searched for the best way to preserve them and found out that most people use hair spray to preserve the artwork. Is a good option? Does it work?

#2 24 Aug, 2017 4:00 am

Re: Charcoal art storage ideas...

Well, some time has passed since you've posted, so perhaps you've already found your solution. However, some things I do when preserving my charcoal art:

I spray a fixative on my charcoal art in a VERY well ventilated area (most preferably outside because fixative is TOXIC, make sure it isn't windy at all), and I do one layer a few feet away, wait for it to completely dry, then apply another layer.

Another thing I do is to put a "cover" on my art. This is really easy. I just cut a piece of drawing paper down to a little bit bigger than my charcoal art piece. Then I tape one side of the paper to my artwork with scotch tape (the blue, easily removable kind) and flip it over the art like it's a sketchbook cover. Tada! With fixative and a protective cover, this will minimize smudging.

Even though you apply fixative, the charcoal will still be "smudge-able," so avoid testing the fixative by rubbing a bit of the art. It will smear a little.

Also, I realize these aren't the best solutions if you still want to display the art, but since you're putting it in a storage area, I guess it won't matter too much.

DO NOT PUT HAIRSPRAY ON CHARCOAL ART. I heard it's not good for it in the long run. If your boyfriend will gift you more charcoal art, anyway the cost of the fixative will be worth it in the long run.

Hope that helps!

Falling      Falling
         Falling      Like a storm...
;,;":*#*#*#*#* :'':;,,";*#*#*#*#*:";
: :.; ":, :" ;: ' ,  : big_smile ":;,,'  '; ' ,: ';:" : ;

Board footer

327 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.