Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Check out our new RMD Facebook Group.
Forum Search

#1 08 Nov, 2017 6:15 am

Status on Drawing Tools and RMD

It's been a long time since updates, and I'm sure you're all very curious as to what the status is of many things at RMD.

To start, I will post an update on one of the more common questions I see.

Drawing Tools

It's been (amazingly) 6-7 years since the tools were updated, and 10 years since they were really started. A lot has happened in that time, and unfortunately the technologies these were created with have in many cases been depreciated.

Java
Sadly Oracle have ceased to support the development of Java applets any more.
https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml

Many browsers have also ceased to support Java and other plugins.
https://www.java.com/en/download/faq/jdk9_plugin.xml

Flash
Flash has also become a fading technology. It is partly supported in many browsers, but the development tools by Adobe are also slowly depreciating. Many of these types of technologies have been removed for various reasons including security concerns and just the invest of more standard technologies like HTML5/Javascript.

All of this leads to it not making sense to keep developing any tools using these technologies. At some point they will simply stop working and many parts of RMD have been troublesome to continue to keep working.

This all may seem unfortunate, but today's world technologies do not last many years before something "better" comes along.

DrawChat

Since DrawChat uses Flash technology, continuing to support this tool makes little sense also. At some point browsers will simply stop supporting this type of content on websites.

The CanvasDraw tool (HTML5)

This tool will continue to work, and it the best chance we have of a continued tool. It is likely the only tool we will offer moving forward.

The big picture

This is obviously not positive news for anyone, and leads to bigger questions about "What does this mean long term for RateMyDrawings?". I don't currently have any solid answers, as I am weighing all the options and considering ideas. Short term the java and flash tools will be closed soon.

Long term, I believe there is still enough of a community here that it needs to be embraced and morphed into something else. Whether this is a new direction for RMD, or something entriely new, I am not sure yet. My goal however is to at the very least make sure that the thousands of users still active, have somewhere to continue your friendships, ways to share your art, or just making sure there are ways you can still learn drawing from one another.

I appreciate everyone who has had patience and passionate about continuing through this journey. I have so many amazing memories over the years with RMD, and I am hopeful something great will come out of all of this (or maybe for many of you, it already has).

The best way to support our community is to just keep drawing - even if it's for fun and not serious. Another way is by taking time to occasionally rate and comments drawings by new or learning artists.

Board footer

262 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.