Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Check out our new RMD Facebook Group.
Forum Search

#1 12 Nov, 2017 1:46 pm

Mick's update on the website and ideas for change...

Mick just recently posted an update on the goings on of this website, and I feel slightly appeased by his info.

However, as a newer senior member/artist of this site, I feel as though I should do everything I can to rally other artists together to help find solutions to our situation. Most importantly: DRAW CHAT.

For a while now, Draw Chat has been down, and not loading for anyone on here, and I feel as though that is the reason for the absence of many of RMD's artists. Without Draw Chat, they have no reason to be on here, and working on a regular art piece, isn't suitable enough for them anymore. With Draw Chat not working, people don't have a way to communicate in real time with other awesome artists, and I feel as though merely deleting the problem and not replacing it with something better, would be a slap in the face to the artists who decided to join RMD in the first place.

If Mick is listening, I would love to help come up with a way to bring a "form" of draw chat back to the masses, and I know many artists out there would love for that to happen too. So if anyone out there of my artist friends, would love to help think of ideas to save this website and bring awesome new technology to the forefront, please post on here and let's work together to make RMD the best drawing website of all time!

So many of my artist friends have left: LoveNeverDies, CivilChaos (Epic Poodle co-founder), and many others...but I'm hoping these new changes that Mick are looking into will bring some old artist friends back. Let's see what unfolds!

NS6

The Art of Chaos = The Chaos of Art

#2 12 Nov, 2017 2:39 pm

Re: Mick's update on the website and ideas for change...

Hmm I think it's pretty clear now that the biggest reason for DrawChat not working anymore is that the old techology DC was founded on is no longer supported by new browser protocols. Java and Flash have slowly been put out of use over the last couple of years and they will soon become obsolete. Therefore, as Mick says in his update, we're only left with one functional app on RMD, namely Canvas, which will become the singular way to still create art on this wbsite in the near future. Other websites (such as iscribble) have found a way to work around the problem of Flash and Java extinction by putting a lot of time and effort into rewriting code for their app, re-inventing things to keep it afloat in spite of the changes and challenges. I wish we could do the same on RMD, but it seems unlikely right now, since there isn't enough revenue to generate funds, or resources to be used and re-invested in new on-going development.

Heil Gallaxhar!

#3 12 Nov, 2017 3:13 pm

shelly wrote:

Hmm I think it's pretty clear now that the biggest reason for DrawChat not working anymore is that the old techology DC was founded on is no longer supported by new browser protocols. Java and Flash have slowly been put out of use over the last couple of years and they will soon become obsolete. Therefore, as Mick says in his update, we're only left with one functional app on RMD, namely Canvas, which will become the singular way to still create art on this wbsite in the near future. Other websites (such as iscribble) have found a way to work around the problem of Flash and Java extinction by putting a lot of time and effort into rewriting code for their app, re-inventing things to keep it afloat in spite of the changes and challenges. I wish we could do the same on RMD, but it seems unlikely right now, since there isn't enough revenue to generate funds, or resources to be used and re-invested in new on-going development.

Very well put Shelly, hopefully we can get this stuff resolved in the future. Glad to see you're still alive and kickin'

The Art of Chaos = The Chaos of Art

#4 13 Nov, 2017 7:13 pm

Thank you both for writing regarding this wonderful site I have had the pleasure of being a part of.  Not a day went by that I did not come here and draw.  It was wonderful.  I looked forward to sitting down and creating art.  Now that java is no longer available I find I do not come here and draw.  Java was the program for drawing.  So many wonderful tools available to create with.  I look at my friends list when I first started drawing here and see that those artists are no longer drawing here.  My hope is that Mike saves this site or it will just be a memory for me and so many others.

To journey into the soul of another person is a sacred honor.

#5 14 Nov, 2017 11:28 am

Hi there guys, been a while since my last involvement here lol. Anyway yeah, about that Draw Chat.. I found this.. http://www.multidraw.org/  Yeah I know Queeky using it.. but its functioning almost the same as DC..Now,  If only it could be implemented here..or at least the devs find a ways to create this with code black magic (e_e)

Last edited by kalimanjaro (14 Nov, 2017 11:28 am)

The cloud...it's so Nice...

#6 16 Nov, 2017 12:17 am

just drawing in other sites for now.
https://creativevision300.deviantart.co … 1510791168

#7 16 Nov, 2017 1:19 am

Canvas draw works for me but I stopped producing as many drawings on this site when my laptop was no longer able to save/load files of drawings in progress-

Its kind of sad that the other tools are going to become obsolete (as mentioned in Shelly's response) because I missed drawing on java-

I hope they're able to implement other drawing tools in the future

^-^~Fate determines who enters your life
Your actions decide who stays~^-^
O.o You are what you are
(and) You are what you eat o.O

Board footer

221 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.