Forum discussions Who's online Member Birthdays
Forum Search

#81 22 May, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: What can we do to liven the site up like it used to be?

Though RMD really needs an update. It's been a while since the last one. sad

I think that notification when someone replies to your comment or mentions your name would be very useful.

Personally, I would also love an option to see who liked and/or faved my drawings. big_smile

SWAEG. ಠ_ಠ

#82 23 May, 2015 2:01 am

I hate the rating system.
I can like an artwork. No problem.

But a like doesn't reflect what I think of it on a different level.
And that different level is the level that matters to me.

A L S O

Careful, Mick might take down ratemydrawings.

http://www.ratemyanimations.com/
He says he's taking the break? The only thing Mick does with breaking is breaking promises. hahahhhaha it's not funny actually ;~;.

"We won't take this website down."

RIP 25 animations I put hours into.

P.S.
I'm so close to yet so far.
https://i.imgur.com/LR5Ah3W.png

#83 26 May, 2015 1:19 am

i haven't been on rmd for god-knows-how-long but honestly the reason i quit wasn't because of being too busy. it's that a lot of friends started quitting.

i think facebook is a great way to stay touch with people. i mean i saw the facebook page for ratemydrawigns and i saw a lot of my rmd friends liking the page. if you can make a huge notice for rmd reunion itd be great

#84 28 May, 2015 3:22 pm

red*rogue wrote:

If you can like a drawing, but you think you need a different level... try faving artwork or even better leave a comment,
I myself ain't a big "commenter" I'm a man of few words, but there are days then I see a drawing and get an inspiration and urge to leave a nice comment. As for rating system I never really cared, I used only 4 and 5 rates which meant I like it, and only few times gave less or even reported an abuse of rules.

As for rma I was skeptic from the beginning (I understand Mick wanted to separate drawings from animations that way creating a new community), but I knew and maybe even expressed my opinion on it back then it stared (I'm not sure).
For animation you need more time and investment so people would want to use it, it needed a constant development to a more user friendly up to date software and maybe even more sharing and downloading options.
I thought on why put an effort, time and resources to a new website, when you could add the tool to rmd and add a page for it like chatdraw.. It would have been more popular because we would have seen the tool whenever we wanted to draw and that's the best advertisement.

As for more action in web, the best way would be to find inverters and advertise, but for that rmd would need action and future plan to sell this product, it all comes to resources.
Its easy to point out what should be done but its another thing to actually make it happen..
Maybe even merging with other websites.

Personally I just wished for java tool(or even a different script tool) to become more complicate, sort of like online PS or Corel, (but still only for drawing and no picture editing)

So yea..

#85 31 May, 2015 8:34 am

sadlave wrote:

red*rogue wrote:

If you can like a drawing, but you think you need a different level... try faving artwork or even better leave a comment,
I myself ain't a big "commenter" I'm a man of few words, but there are days then I see a drawing and get an inspiration and urge to leave a nice comment. As for rating system I never really cared, I used only 4 and 5 rates which meant I like it, and only few times gave less or even reported an abuse of rules.

As for rma I was skeptic from the beginning (I understand Mick wanted to separate drawings from animations that way creating a new community), but I knew and maybe even expressed my opinion on it back then it stared (I'm not sure).
For animation you need more time and investment so people would want to use it, it needed a constant development to a more user friendly up to date software and maybe even more sharing and downloading options.
I thought on why put an effort, time and resources to a new website, when you could add the tool to rmd and add a page for it like chatdraw.. It would have been more popular because we would have seen the tool whenever we wanted to draw and that's the best advertisement.

As for more action in web, the best way would be to find inverters and advertise, but for that rmd would need action and future plan to sell this product, it all comes to resources.
Its easy to point out what should be done but its another thing to actually make it happen..
Maybe even merging with other websites.

Personally I just wished for java tool(or even a different script tool) to become more complicate, sort of like online PS or Corel, (but still only for drawing and no picture editing)

So yea..

I agree with every single word smile  i hate talking and commenting a lot cause i know i  can t express what i want anyway but i try to make an effort especially for the people that try too and keep this place alive , and for the drawings i like and i can learn from them .This is an action and actions are the only ones that matters and change things  .
Only talking and ranting will never do anything but create tension and bad atmosphere on the site .
So really..if you want people to come here just take a minute and comment /like /fav/collect them ..

#86 31 May, 2015 9:12 am

D.Conan wrote:

Shikuna wrote:

On the otherhand I disagree that art shouldn't be judged. It's unlikely that an artwork won't be judgle. Even a like system is an alternative form of judgment. You judge an art simply by liking it ( for the techniques, skill, and uniqueness), or you don't like it because in your opinion it's not good. Either way, it's still judging. Plus, you are putting your art on the internet, it's bond to receive judgement. The only solution to this is to put an option for those who want to receive constructional feedback to improve. And for those artist who are here to draw for fun, just ignore that option. It will put RMD in a step closer to a professional level (but not really), because in reality there'll always be critics.

I couldn't agree more with you. An option for only those who want to receive constructional feedback sounds a great idea.

I also agree with purplechick9215's suggestion. Rating by colours sounds very fun and a nice rating system.

Anyway... yeah, imo, the simplest and the fastest way is to do what is said on the comment above. What I mean is that if we want changes, we should starts from ourselves first, and show that we really want to make this site to liven up. big_smile

I feel that i said this many times before but people are NOT all the same .

I agree with the option of having the possibility to receive constructional feedback for those who want , but i can t help ask myself and you now:what is that ? if in my drawing i aim for surprising myself for example and using some colors i don t understand , and the feedback will be : the lines could be more straight and the coloring is not neat..where is the logic ?  people are drawing for so many reasons that a longer description will be needed for sure . and even if this will happen, in my case i ll never be able to explain what i want in my drawing cause i like to draw with absolutely no purpose too , or i draw just to put some dreams in image , or just to have fun..and the drawing will be saved if I and only i like it. so in that moment i really don t need and care about feedback cause all i care is if I like it or not .

When i am on RMD the first drawings i see are the strange/ unique ones , i don t even see the technique and if i see it is just making me want to learn and improve . but i don t really appreciate it that much as i appreciate something that surprise me , so based on this my opinion is less valuable than others ? Some people ( the most probably) are appreciating skill , images that are from references , things that they know and they can compare . but some not . So this rating system is the best in this moment .

Last edited by vis_in_vis (31 May, 2015 11:05 am)

#87 07 Jul, 2015 6:03 pm

vis_in_vis wrote:

D.Conan wrote:

Shikuna wrote:

On the otherhand I disagree that art shouldn't be judged. It's unlikely that an artwork won't be judgle. Even a like system is an alternative form of judgment. You judge an art simply by liking it ( for the techniques, skill, and uniqueness), or you don't like it because in your opinion it's not good. Either way, it's still judging. Plus, you are putting your art on the internet, it's bond to receive judgement. The only solution to this is to put an option for those who want to receive constructional feedback to improve. And for those artist who are here to draw for fun, just ignore that option. It will put RMD in a step closer to a professional level (but not really), because in reality there'll always be critics.

I couldn't agree more with you. An option for only those who want to receive constructional feedback sounds a great idea.

I also agree with purplechick9215's suggestion. Rating by colours sounds very fun and a nice rating system.

Anyway... yeah, imo, the simplest and the fastest way is to do what is said on the comment above. What I mean is that if we want changes, we should starts from ourselves first, and show that we really want to make this site to liven up. big_smile

I feel that i said this many times before but people are NOT all the same .

I agree with the option of having the possibility to receive constructional feedback for those who want , but i can t help ask myself and you now:what is that ? if in my drawing i aim for surprising myself for example and using some colors i don t understand , and the feedback will be : the lines could be more straight and the coloring is not neat..where is the logic ?  people are drawing for so many reasons that a longer description will be needed for sure . and even if this will happen, in my case i ll never be able to explain what i want in my drawing cause i like to draw with absolutely no purpose too , or i draw just to put some dreams in image , or just to have fun..and the drawing will be saved if I and only i like it. so in that moment i really don t need and care about feedback cause all i care is if I like it or not .

When i am on RMD the first drawings i see are the strange/ unique ones , i don t even see the technique and if i see it is just making me want to learn and improve . but i don t really appreciate it that much as i appreciate something that surprise me , so based on this my opinion is less valuable than others ? Some people ( the most probably) are appreciating skill , images that are from references , things that they know and they can compare . but some not . So this rating system is the best in this moment .

Then what is the point of commenting then, if you say that people putting their opinions and thoughts about something isn't logical? Why don't we just removed everything and just have a fav, collection and view count then. Every people are entitled for their own opinion. And I can't speak for everyone because I am just one person, but what I think is that you cant stop people form giving feedbacks. For example: "That's one heck of a creative idea, but I think you can use the blending tool to make it smoother if you like. Overall it's great." That's the type of constructional feedback that I am thinking off and not just blankly stating out what the artist did wrong.

I am the same, what catches my attention is the original/conceptually unique drawings ones that are on here, but I wouldn't deny that ref drawing doesn't catch my attention too sometimes. Especially Parfois, in which there are technical skills to it. It takes technique to be strange/unique.

#88 12 Jul, 2015 2:26 am

It's so upsetting to see this site like this... I feel like feedback is one of the reasons I stayed here... I received a lot of feedback when the community was small but I think as the community grew the website did not change to accommodate that... There are less and less intensives to draw and less and less ways to create a sense of community...

I wish Mick would return and try to liven the site or maybe hand the reins of publicity/site admin to someone who would...

Anyways, it's nice to be back...

#89 13 Jul, 2015 5:17 pm

it s not like feedback magically appears . some human beings are actually taking time that could be used for anything else to show their opinion and appreciation for someone's else art   .  probably many would like to get what they give  smile but some  are not waiting anything back .
if this is not totally obvious yet they are keeping this place alive.

Then what is the point of commenting then, if you say that people putting their opinions and thoughts about something isn't logical?

just show me where i said that..
or no..cause this is getting boring ))
i m just saying that for some criticizing is their only pleasure, so ,if someone who never drew a line without a ref or without copying will say a word to me..that word is simply nothing.
yep harsh. but this is my opinion. i don t care about skills . skills are simply time spent for practice  . so as much as i appreciate and admire skills , originality and a person that have no clue how to draw but express something personal will always be better than some skilled "ranter " who thinks is so much better cause knows how to  put others down .

#90 15 Jul, 2015 8:20 pm

There seems to be misconceptions in this thread...

Feedback is criticism and providing a tip for improvement.
Criticism is commenting things you believe that are incorrect.

To answer your question, vis: "What is constructional feedback?"
Constructional feedback = constructional feedback.

The rules for feedback are:
Point out something positive.
Provide a tip for improvement.
Encourage("I love the idea!", "Keep it up!").
There are probably more but I forgot.

ANYWAYS

I'd love to have a feedback function.
I improve as slowly as a big fat **** and I never get tips.
And feedback spices up the comment section of each drawing.

At the moment I feel like I can't give feedback due to the social pressure here to always leave nice comments. You quickly become an ******* with your feedback in the vast ocean of praising comments. Am I the only one who feels this?

hey

#91 15 Aug, 2015 3:13 am

vis_in_vis wrote:

I agree with the option of having the possibility to receive constructional feedback for those who want , but i can t help ask myself and you now:what is that ? if in my drawing i aim for surprising myself for example and using some colors i don t understand , and the feedback will be : the lines could be more straight and the coloring is not neat..where is the logic ?

Alright, I'll try to be concise because it seems like you only read the things that you want to read. You say that people who expression their critics isn't logical. In most cases I agree, but you have to look at the bigger picture. Leaving rude critics and constructional feedbacks are two different things. You seems to only be thinking that people who leave bad comments other than compliments on your drawings is meaningless.

I don't think that you are any unique than another other artist who.... let me quote what you said "aim for surprising myself", I am pretty sure there are many artist who experiment in variety of styles to understand what style fits them best and what differentiate them from the rest of the art community. Yet, some of those artist are whiling to take constructional comments to improve themselve, and some can careless what others think.

Now, I've seen many of your replies whenever someones disagrees with you, you misunderstood it as cyber bullying. I am not being rude or nice, I am neutral. This is a forum where we discuss agree to disagree or not, don't misunderstood that I am bullying you in anyway because like you said in your latest comment. Let me quote you just in case you want me to proof it "harsh, but this is my opinion".

#92 27 Aug, 2015 4:50 pm

so... just make feedback a choice.

If you want feedback on your art, check a box. Then everyone who views your artwork will see the heart rating system appear and give you rates.

And say something in the frikken description about what you are trying to improve and ask the artists to leave suggestions for improvement.

You don't want to face the discouragement of rating? Don't check the flippin box. Anyone who views your artwork will just see the "Like" heart we have now and will use that.

DONE.

As for improving this site... i'd like to see the ideas already expressed implemented. If Mick will do this or not, *shrug*

In all honesty I lost a bit of my soul when RMA was shut down. It was unique and.... primitive but who cared?! you could ANIMATE and learn from other animations in a community. Anyway, it's up to each of us individually to do our part and pray Mick does his, right?

*goes off to draw and comment*

#93 14 Dec, 2016 5:58 am

#94 06 Mar, 2018 2:51 am

the site used to have an actual feature specifically for feedback that I loved... I was looking at it on the wayback machine yesterday actually. you could check off one of several positive points like "great effort" or "imaginative" or  "shows improvement" (not verbatim but you get the gist)... also the ACTUAL rating system was nice. just "liking" a drawing is fine but having a numbered rating on your drawings felt more honest, you got an idea of what the majority of people actually felt about your work. these were some of the features that i think set RMD apart as a drawing community, among many other things... i think taking some new ideas and combining them with the best of old RMD would build a pretty perfect art site.

hello

Board footer

266 online members & visitors
See who's online
Follow us on:
RateMyDrawings on FacebookRateMyDrawings on YouTube RateMyDrawings on Twitter

About RateMyDrawings Terms & Conditions Advertise on RMD Privacy Policy Donate Behavior Guide

Mixart New Media LLC. Online Art Communities
As creators of drawings, you own the rights to your own drawings. Respect copyright protected artwork.
More information in our Terms and Copyright Policy.